EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Transport Statistics

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 11/14/2007 10:17:44
by Adam Leyshon (Standard support level)

I was just wondering if there are any methods available to get statistics from the transports (preferably MCSocketTransport in TCP mode.)?

E.g. Outgoing rate in KB/s, Incoming rate in KB/s or even messages sent or received/s
Total Connections, Incoming/Outgoing Packets/s that sort of thing.

Or if there any plans to ever build this function in?
Posted: 11/14/2007 10:26:10
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

What exactly statistics do you need? We will add it to the ToDo list (and implement fairly soon).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/14/2007 10:34:40

Preferably:
Incoming Speed in KB/s or B/s (Total of connections or even better per connection)
Same for outgoing

Inbound/Outbound Packets or Messages/Second

Connections/Second

Bytes Sent and Bytes Recieved Per Connection and total of all connections.

They are all purely for statistical usage.

Also while im here is it possible to know how many threads are in use by MCSocketTransport?
for use like:
Code
Using MySocket
Debug.Print (.threads.count & " of " & .threads.threadpoolsize & " Threads.")
End Using
Posted: 11/15/2007 06:31:23
by Nick Tucker (Standard support level)

Cool idea.. would love to see that implemented!
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:12:29
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The per second information is not very useful in MsgConnect because it's message-based and not stream-based. 1 msg/sec can be too much if your applications sends a message per hour, but this can bee too few when you push the file.
Anything/second tells the user the speed of transfer of some information from / to particular host. Now what should we measure with InetTransport of MsgConnect when it (the transport) sends and receives messages to/from different destinations? While we can count the total number of messages or bytes sent/received, there are questions to answer: (a) when should the counters be reset, and (b) what is the use of such information without counting it differently for each destination?

So there are lots ot things to think about in this topic. I agree, that it's a cool idea, but it should be also well-thought idea ;).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:31:18

Hmm i guess your right (P.s. I know it was not very well thought through, had been a v.long day (read 6am to 11pm) lol)

I suppose msgconnect is like MySQL server in a sense: SQL Queries and the results returned are in message format e.g. "SELECT * FROM TABLE" with RESPONSE "ROW: 1 DATA: 12,A,123" Etc. (I don't know how it works really but i would have thought it was similar)

Still I think if we have:
Messages/Second (adjust timing as you see fit) as a total for all connections e.g. Transport wise
For Example ExternalTCPSocket.Stats.MessagesPerSecond = 15

As for when should counters be reset
1) for Transport stats: upon Transport shutdown or Transport.Stats.reset
2) for Connection stats e.g. Bytes Sent/Recv: upon connection loss (either client/server close or dropped)
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4197 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!