EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

MsgConnect message size scalability question

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 02/21/2007 21:36:19
by Boris Shpungin (Basic support level)

Hi. I'm a developer participating in definition of a networked multi-node architecture, where application nodes must exchange data.

Our requirements include, in addition to exchange of what one might consider "typical" messages, both in synchronous and asynchronous modes, also transfers of potentially very large data streams -- on the order of several GB per "message". I would like to know what kind of support, if any, is provided by the MsgConnect solution for such a contingency?

For example, could one pass one or more file handles as part of the message, and have the transport protocol stream the file(s) out to the destination? And conversely, have the recipient stream the message into a file, returning only a file handle to the client application? For local calls just passing file handles across process boundaries, without copying the file contents, might be sufficient in some cases but not in others -- what are the available alternatives? And then, there are forwarding scenarios to consider: it would be inefficient to land such large amounts of data onto a disk at each hop before forwarding it; it would be better if the forwarding nodes could simply stream the data out to the next node in the chain, as soon as it arrives (but how to deal with unequal link bandwidths and latencies?)

Also (but this is much less critical), I haven't seen any mention of authentication support on the website. Am I right in assuming that any mechanism for authentication of clients/peers would be up to the implementer, or assumed to occur down at the transport layer?

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Boris Shpungin
Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc.
Posted: 02/22/2007 01:38:51
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Boris Shpungin wrote:
I would like to know what kind of support, if any, is provided by the MsgConnect solution for such a contingency?

MsgConnect is a classic message-oriented middleware, and it's message based. You need to split the large streams into smaller chunks and send those chunks. We include FileTransfer sample as an example of how to send the geenric data streams.

Boris Shpungin wrote:
I haven't seen any mention of authentication support on the website. Am I right in assuming that any mechanism for authentication of clients/peers would be up to the implementer, or assumed to occur down at the transport layer?

First of all, you can plug SSL/TLS to MsgConnect and get authentication and encryption easily. Pascal code base of MsgConnect includes classes to plug SecureBlackbox. We can create similar classes for other code bases if needed.

Also, there's such thing as Message Credentials, sent with every message. You can use them for authentication. If you need something more sophisticated, you can sign the messages being sent using some digital signature mechanism (RSA keys, certificates, OpenPGP keys). Due to the large number of options this is left for implementor.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 3438 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!