EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

.NET SendNote UDP No Messages Received

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 06/27/2008 14:15:27
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You didn't adjust a wrong setting. This is just how UDP works. VM receive one message because there's one interface between two different systems (the real one and VM's one). When you restrict the local address to 127.0.0.1, you exclude the socket from the broadcast quasi-interface (as I understand it). What you can do is restrict the local address to the network IP address only and see if broadcast works. I can't check this at the moment, but in any case I don't get duplicates when testing here.

Maybe if you explain, what you are trying to achieve, I will be able to offer some better solution.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/27/2008 16:07:40
by Tim Sullivan (Standard support level)

Hi Eugene,
Mainly I'm just testing out UDP right now.
We're looking to use UDP as a Network Resource Notification tool (let other application on the network know that a specific tool is now online, etc...).
I've tested UDP on two physical machines, using 0.0.0.0, and in both cases the sending application receives 3 messages, but the other application receives only one message.
I switched the MessengerPort to the network IP of the sender, and now it only receives one UDP message (as you suggested). This setting should work to minimize repeated messages in the sending application.
Thanks again for all your help.

Statistics

Topic viewed 9474 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!