EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Changes in files not saved

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 02/29/2008 08:54:41
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Patrick Dorin wrote:
As I stated already if I close explorer it seems that close(false) works well, so it seems it was not a bug. I thought I just had to close all files.

When explorer shows the content of a directory it holds handle to this directory. That's why the storage can't be closed by Close(false).
Please check whether files (jpeg or txt) are corrupted when a storage is closed by the Close(false) call.
Thanks.
Posted: 02/29/2008 09:01:28
by Kenny Clement (Priority Standard support level)

When explorer shows the content of a directory it holds handle to this directory. That's why the storage can't be closed by Close(false).

I can understand that explanation, but well ...
How can my application force users to close every explorer window?
If they don't, and I really need the storage closed, I have no other option than closing forcibly.
If I do that, I don't want to get corrupt files.

Also, as long as this happens, we'll get the same problems with unexpected closes (pc crash or reboot).

Look at your own behaviour.
When you close your pc in the evening, do you first close all windows and applications? Or just the critical ones, and then reboot with everything still open. The last part, is exactly what 90% of the users do.
They're done working, so they poweroff their computer.
As a result, not all windows might be closed, and gentle close will fail.

This happens A LOT, and should never end in corrupt files.
Posted: 02/29/2008 10:44:49
by Patrick Dorin (Standard support level)

I tried Close(false);
The method did not crash because I close all files and explorer windows,

But Txt files are still 90% of the time empty !

Jpeg files seem to be ok though.
Posted: 02/29/2008 14:10:04

Kenny Clement wrote:
I can understand that explanation, but well ... How can my application force users to close every explorer window? If they don't, and I really need the storage closed, I have no other option than closing forcibly. If I do that, I don't want to get corrupt files.

There isn't a problem that Close(Force = TRUE) is used. I mean that the already saved files must not be corrupted when Close(TRUE) is used. For example if a txt-file is modified in Notepad and than saved, the file won't be corrupted even if it's still opened in Notepad at the time when Close(TRUE) is called. Sure if a file is being saved at the time when the storage is forcibly closed then there is a possibility that it will be corrupted (it occurs when some part of saving data will be written but another part won't).
And about Close(FALSE). If it returns an error it means that there are some handle (at least one) that are opened for files and/or directories on the closed storage.
Posted: 02/29/2008 14:15:43

Thank you for your detailed explanation Mr Zinin,

But do you have an idea why txt files keep being empty ?

Thanks
Posted: 02/29/2008 14:31:15

Kenny Clement wrote:
Also, as long as this happens, we'll get the same problems with unexpected closes (pc crash or reboot).

We are working on it...

Kenny Clement wrote:
Look at your own behaviour. When you close your pc in the evening, do you first close all windows and applications? Or just the critical ones, and then reboot with everything still open. The last part, is exactly what 90% of the users do. They're done working, so they poweroff their computer. As a result, not all windows might be closed, and gentle close will fail.

This happens A LOT, and should never end in corrupt files.

It's not a right example. Because the system sends the shutdown notification to opened application so they can write necessary data to files.
More appropriate is removing a flash drive without unmounting it by the use of the corresponding icon in the system tray.
Posted: 02/29/2008 14:41:33

Patrick Dorin wrote:
But do you have an idea why txt files keep being empty ?

I think there is a bug :(. We are working on it.

Please tell me do you use checked (i.e. debug) or release version of the SolFS drivers? It's preferable to use the debug ones during the development and testing. It will help us to fix bugs.
Posted: 02/29/2008 14:45:31

I use release version, do the debug drivers install the same way with SimpleMount sample code ?
Where is written the info you need to debug ?

Thanks
Posted: 02/29/2008 14:58:42

Patrick Dorin wrote:
I use release version, do the debug drivers install the same way with SimpleMount sample code ?

Yes, they do.

Patrick Dorin wrote:
Where is written the info you need to debug ?

The debug versions don't write any info, but they have a lot of additional checks which can cause a BSOD if some check fails. After that we can investigate a crash dump and find where the problem is.

Please try to reproduce the problem with the debug drivers. Will a BSOD occur or not?

Thanks and sorry for the inconveniences.
Posted: 02/29/2008 15:16:17

I installed the debug drivers and they don't cause any BSOD.

I still have the same problem, 95% of the time, when you modify the content of an already existing txt file, it will be empty at next mount.

But I noticed that if the file was just created and saved,
it won't be empty at next mount.

And if you never change the txt file content (saved only once),
it will keep the original content, of when it has been created.
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 17238 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!