EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Install DLL - Example Please ?

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 02/03/2008 16:29:21
by Anthoni Gardner (Basic support level)

Hello there,

I am wanting to write an installer that will install the SolFS drivers into the users system. Before I used to use the SolFS.InstallDrivers. However this seems to have some caveats with Vista and permissions etc.

So I am writing my own installer and wanting to use the Installer DLL that comes with the new download of SolFS Driver edition. However there is no example code whatsoever on this new dll.

Could a sample please be posted and uploaded, or even posted here please ?
I am using Delphi 7 Enterprise.
Posted: 02/03/2008 23:45:30
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

There's no example because it's not needed. Installer DLL is supposed to be used with installers such as Wise, InstallShield etc. which can load DLLs and call their functions. It's functionality and behaviour is the same as InstallDrivers/UninstallDrivers methods - it links the same code inside.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/04/2008 13:57:09

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
There's no example because it's not needed. Installer DLL is supposed to be used with installers such as Wise, InstallShield etc. which can load DLLs and call their functions. It's functionality and behaviour is the same as InstallDrivers/UninstallDrivers methods - it links the same code inside.

OK, so that means if I write my own setup program for my software and use InstallDrivers / UnInstallDrivers then Vista *should* be OK with it installing and not raise the EOSError - 5 error ?
Posted: 02/04/2008 14:17:45
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Anthoni Gardner wrote:
OK, so that means if I write my own setup program for my software and use InstallDrivers / UnInstallDrivers then Vista *should* be OK with it installing and not raise the EOSError - 5 error ?

Your setup must be recognized by Vista as a setup application. Also you might need to run it explicitly from under Administrator account. But as you move the installation functions to a separate EXE, solving your problem becomes easier in any case.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/04/2008 15:03:00

Your setup must be recognized by Vista as a setup application.

Do you know where I could find information so I mark my application as an installation app?

Also you might need to run it explicitly from under Administrator account. But as you move the installation functions to a separate EXE, solving your problem becomes easier in any case.

In a previous message, I was informed (in Vista) I could right click the application that installs the driver and select Run As Administrator.

As I do not have Vista on any of my computers to check, could you verify that this would work at all?
Posted: 02/05/2008 01:34:53
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello,

Try to add in your setup a manifest with the "requestedExecutionLevel" tag set to "requireAdministrator".

For example see the topic "Using a Manifest File" here.

Posted: 02/05/2008 07:01:18

Thank you for that Vladimir, that link was really really helpful.
Much appreciated.
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 3923 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!