EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Compact Question

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 01/17/2008 02:19:57
by Jure Bogataj (Priority Standard support level)

Hello!

I'm having a question about Compact function of SolFS storage. How does it work internally? The reason I'm asking is, because I want to know if it is possible for storage to get corrupted during compact operation if for example the power goes out or computer reboots or sth like that. Basically I want to know if SolFS makes backup of storage first (or can this be specified) or is there any other mechanism to prevent storage corruption. Or should I make backup myself just in case?
Does compact also call Check&Repair first or after or does it not call at all or maybe Compact includes Check&Repair functionality?

Thank you for your answers!

Best regards,
Jure
Posted: 01/17/2008 02:59:59
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

Compact operation just moves used storage pages (clusters) from the end of storage to free space at the beginning of storage. SolFS does not create any backup copies before compacting and there exists no option for creating backup copies. Interrupting of compacting process can produce only one kind of invalid information in storage. Some page will be moved to free place but its old location will be still marked as used. Check&Reapir is not called before or after compacting, but compacting checks moved pages, so it can return ‘Storage is corrupted’ error.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2277 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!