EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

C# Sample Apps

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 01/13/2008 16:17:47
by Dow Hartley (Basic support level)

I am trying to evaluate Solid File System using MS Visual C#, but the provided dotNet sample program (SolFSExplorer) leaves a lot to be desired. I have spent hours reading through the documentation and forums, but have had no success.

Generally, it seems clear to me that one or more working source code examples ought to be provided to demonstrate each of the library's methods and properties. This could also serve as an example of best practice for a variety of common implementation scenarios - the SolFSExplorer example hardly seems to qualify.

Specifically, I wish to automate the PowerPoint viewer to read PPT presentations from an encrypted store that cannot be easily accessed by the user during normal program operation (no drive letter mounting). It seems that SolFS is capable of providing this functionality, but the lack of example source code is very frustrating.

Can you provide a more comprehensive C# source code example for Solid File System?
Posted: 01/14/2008 00:55:06
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Dow Hartley wrote:
Generally, it seems clear to me that one or more working source code examples ought to be provided to demonstrate each of the library's methods and properties.

No, sorry. We never did this and don't plan this. Our solutions assume certain level of competence among the developers who use them. If the person needs a sample for every property, then, sorry, we are not able to help.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/14/2008 09:56:54
by Dow Hartley (Basic support level)

<Our solutions assume [a] certain level of competence among the developers who use them. If the person needs a sample for every property, then, sorry, we are not able to help.>

Thank you for deigning to reply to my lowly plea for enlightenment, oh Great and Condescending ELDOS Wizard.

Please note that I did not specifically request "a sample for every property." I did ask for a "more comprehensive" dotNet example than the one provided, which is, to put it kindly, unsatisfactory. I have sufficient technical competence to eventually figure out the syntax and get your tools working. I also have enough experience to know that good working example code (included with virtually every commercial tool kit I've seriously evaluated) saves time.

Your attitude that each of your customers should have to work through arcane documentation without decent example syntax just to get basic functionality misses the point. Developers buy products like yours, in part, to accelerate the coding process. How many thousands of man-hours are wasted by your customers, both existing and potential, reinventing what is essentially the same code? Is it really so hard for you to create a decent sample app or library for each target language?

How about a C# example (or two) that exercises the most often used functionality? Basic SolFS error handling would be a plus. It would also be great if the examples were provided as a library of function calls and subroutines, rather than just embedding the logic into the GUI event handlers. (My 11-year-old daughter knows to move code to subroutines, after all.) Comments would be a nice addition, too. I am certain that I (and the rest of your dotNet developer customers) appreciate any assistance you are prepared to offer.

A potential customer,

Dow Hartley

p.s. You didn't respond to my implied question as to whether SolFS does, in fact, have the capability to meet my functional requirements. Is it even the right tool, or is a different ELDOS product required to do what I describe above?

p.p.s. I can't help wondering where the user-submitted code examples are. Have there really been none? Did I overlook them? Do you delete them from the forums?
Posted: 01/14/2008 11:03:47
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We will definitely take it into account in future versions of our software.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 3453 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!