EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Updating drivers

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 12/20/2007 03:03:12
by Kenny Clement (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,

For our application, I'm building a little tool that can install, update, and remove the SolFS drivers.

Installing and removing is quite easy, using the standard API functions.
However.
So far, we've updated the drivers by uninstalling (usually followed by a reboot), and then re-installing.
Also, we have no way of knowing whether or not an update is even necessary (sometimes, when we update our application,l the SolFS driver hasn't changed yet: no update required).

Because updating the driver almost always requires a reboot, we'd like to re-install it only when it is really necessary.

How can we do this?
The first thing I need, is getting the version of both the installed driver, and the one I want, and comparing those 2.
There is a function in your documentation: SolFSStorage.getVersion(), but that returns 0.
I suppose this has been replaced with SolFSDrv.DriverStatus()?
When I run that function, it gives me '655541' as the high version, and '1573159' as the low version. How can I compare these version numbers to the soldisk.sys and solfs.sys files I want?
I need to be able to compare these in order to determine whether or not an update is required.

Is it really necessary to uninstall before installing another version?

Thanks in advance!
Posted: 12/20/2007 03:28:54
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

GetVersion returns the version of SolFS engine. It should return 3. We'll check what's wrong with it.

To find out the version of the drivers, use GetDriversStatus.

I'll copy your post to HelpDesk and the developers will check what's wrong with version there.

Kenny Clement wrote:
Is it really necessary to uninstall before installing another version?

No. You can just call InstallDrivers and restart the system only when RebootNeeded is set to true after the call to InstallDrivers.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/20/2007 03:49:08

In fact the version numbers are correct:

65541 = 0x10005, which is 1.5
and
1573159  = 0x180127, which is .24.295

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/20/2007 03:59:07

Heh, right.

Posted: 12/20/2007 06:11:56

The developer said that it is not necessary to uninstall the drivers. Note, that if the drivers are loaded and you attempt to install the new version, it won't be installed.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/20/2007 06:58:26

Note, that if the drivers are loaded and you attempt to install the new version, it won't be installed.

This happens in 90% of the cases.
So, that means I have to uninstall the driver, reboot, and re-install?

Not very user friendly for our customers. :(
Posted: 12/20/2007 08:39:11
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

I have answered to the ticket. Let's continue the discussion there.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3610 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!