EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SolFS optimization

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 11/01/2007 19:55:19
by Christian Falardeau (Standard support level)

Hi, we are actually testing our system and we discover that we are suffering of a storage performance problem. We acquired ultrasound data. Actually we can have 1024 separate channels of ultrasound data and eventually we are planning to have 4096 and 32768 channels. These channels represent A-Scans (name that we use to represent this type of data). a A-Scan is a stream of amplitude samples acquired at a specific x, y location on a specimen). Each channel is linked to a separate stream in the SolFS storage. But it is not all. We also have miscellanous data that can be acquired. Generally these data are smaller than the A-Scans and contains only one sample for each acquired x, y location (C-Scan). The acquisition rate can be up to 20 MB/sec (Megabytes/sec). Data are received from an Ethernet port and then stored separately in each SolFS stream. To store the data in each stream, the stream position has to be modified 2 times. We hardly get 12 MB/sec for the performance on a Dual Core DELL PC 3.4 Ghz RAID-0 Stripped 10K RPM disks (it is quite a REALLY bit computer) with 256 channels and when we have views in the UI that display the data( read back the data) it is worst. The CPUs are almost at 25% occupied during the acquisition time. To get this performance I have to set the page count between 5 and 10 and page size is 32K. If I use smaller values, it is worst.

Do you have hints, tricks or ideas of how I can improve speed?
Does the driver version is faster?
Posted: 11/02/2007 08:09:42
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Are you using the resizeable storage? Try to pre-allocate the space in the storage in chunks using SolFS 3.2 beta and it's DiskSize property.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 2571 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!