EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Modification times

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 10/22/2007 03:20:40
by Kenny Clement (Priority Standard support level)

Hi.
I have the following problem when using SolFS Driver Edition beta 4 (and previous versions).

When copying a file to a SolFS storage, SolFS treats it as a new file, and resets the modification time.

You can see an example in the attached screenshot.
What i did:

I created a new file on an NTFS drive at 10:19:25.
I modified this file at 10:19:33. You can see this on the properties to the left.

I then copied this file to another regular NTFS drive at 10:20:03. This contents of the file was not modified, so the modification time has not changed. This is the result I expect, and need! You can see this on the properties window in the center of the screenshot.

I then copied this file to a SolFS drive at 10:20:15. Just like last time, the contents hasn't been changed. But unlike on NTFS, the modification time was changed!! (equal to the creation time)
You can see this at the right side of the sceenshot.

This is unexpected, and unwanted behaviour for our software.
Our software synchronizes files between the clients (SolFS) and a central server.
When files are automatically copied from the server to the SolFS drive, the modification time shouldn't change. Our software uses to modification times to see whether or not the file has changed, and thus needs to be synchronized. With SolFS, our software sees every file as a newer file, and we get conflicts on every file.

Is there a simple solution to this problem? Some property I missed? Or is it simply not possible with SolFS?

Posted: 10/22/2007 14:42:43
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

In the next build this bug will be fixed.
Posted: 10/23/2007 01:26:32

ok.
Posted: 10/24/2007 06:46:47

Checked.
Works in Beta 5.
Thanks for the quick fix ;-)

Statistics

Topic viewed 2820 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!