EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Vista Woes

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 09/30/2007 20:12:55
by Anthoni Gardner (Basic support level)

Hello there,

I've embedded the WMP ActiveX into my Delphi program and all works
perfectly on Windows XP. I've also embedded IE ActiveX into the same
program as well. My program uses the IE for its main interface and for
the user to interact with. The WMP is embedded into a seperate form
that gets shown when needed. The videos can be located on either the users
computer (traditional way) or inside a SolFS drive and accessed via the
UNC path \\?\mydisk\

On Vista when the user clicks play, to play a video, IE itself throws
a script error with the following :-
Code
"internet explorer script error"  OLE error C00D1327
http://www.mysite.com/virtual_file.htm
do you want to continue runing the scripts yes/no

Now I've searched Google groups under WMP for that Error code and all I've
found is that it seems to be something to do with the path. Yet this
works perfectly on Windows XP and lower versions, it just crumbles on
Vista for some reason. Also, if the user presses Yes, the video plays
perfectly. [Note] The video ActiveX is NOT embedded inside IE, but on
a different form altogether.

Anyone have any insights as to the cause of this ?
Posted: 10/01/2007 01:48:54
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

In general, you don't need driver edition for your IE part. You can use SolFS Standard with APP (asynchronous pluggable protocol) -- see the APP sample for Delphi.

To solve your particular problem, it's important to find out, what causes the error. The search in Google says this is WMP bug. And some of the found entries suggest that this is a permissions problem. I.e. either IE or WMP can't access the URL because of the security zone boundaries -- the file is treated as being outside of the Local zone. The security things changed on Vista and this is the likely cause of the problem.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/01/2007 08:15:29

Hi Eugene,

In general, you don't need driver edition for your IE part. You can use SolFS Standard with APP (asynchronous pluggable protocol) -- see the APP sample for Delphi.

The driver edition is required for other sections of my program, like where I need to be able to play movies / music WITHOUT the user ever getting their hands on the media itself. The IE section references our website (like a normal browser) and I use a COM object to interact with it, by calling external.MyMethod(param1, param2) etc.

However, this APP (asynchronous pluggable protocol) has intrigued me greatly. Where can I find the APP sample for Delphi ? I've looked in the demo section and could not locate it.

To solve your particular problem, it's important to find out, what causes the error. The search in Google says this is WMP bug. And some of the found entries suggest that this is a permissions problem. I.e. either IE or WMP can't access the URL because of the security zone boundaries -- the file is treated as being outside of the Local zone. The security things changed on Vista and this is the likely cause of the problem.

Yes, I have a feeling this was WMP on Vista related, but could not be 100% sure. I was also thinking it might be permissions because I have the SolFS disk locked to my process only. Vista seems to play the video on occasion but then other times just refuses. I presumed because I had the allow child process of the SolFS driver, that this would negate the problem, but obviously I was wrong.

I am going to remove the process restrictions on the SolFS and see if that helps it at all. Trust them to change the security model on Vista! It works like a charm on XP and lower OS versions.

Regards
Anthoni
Posted: 10/01/2007 09:35:03

Anthoni Gardner wrote:
However, this APP (asynchronous pluggable protocol) has intrigued me greatly. Where can I find the APP sample for Delphi ? I've looked in the demo section and could not locate it.

It's a sample for Standard edition.

<SolFS>\VCL\Samples\App

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/01/2007 10:13:39

It's a sample for Standard edition.
<SolFS>\VCL\Samples\App

Yep, downloaded and installed it, just to see what it was.
It appears its a unit SolFSApp that like you said comes with the standard edition.
Due to the fact that the program I am developing definitely requires the driver edition, is there anyway to integrate the SolFSApp unit into the driver edition as well ?

Regards
Anthoni
Posted: 10/01/2007 12:16:58

You can use both at the same time. Not sure that it's possible to link them both statically into one module in Delphi, but you can put some functionality to the DLL.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4538 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!