EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How do I make the drive visible to File History?

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 12/18/2015 20:59:09
by Dan Tower (Basic support level)

I'm using the SolFS CPP Sample for Simple_Mounter and trying to map a drive that File History can target. I used the SOLFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER flag and the drive shows up in Explorer on the left (but not the right panel for some reason). I can use the drive and copy files to it just fine.

But it doesn't show up as an option in File History and also is not visible in diskmgmt.msc. So is there something else that I need to do to make File History see it?

Thanks,
-Dan
Posted: 12/18/2015 21:21:57
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Although we don't have experience with File History in particular, I think that they want a "real device". To have one you need to do the following:

1) the drivers must be installed in PnP mode (supportPnP parameter of Install method must be set to true) and smPnPBusDriver constant must be included in ModulesToInstall parameter;
2) set StorageType property to 3 (three). This is a value that doesn't have a corresponding constant for some reason. I will check the reason with the developers on Monday.
3) when adding a mounting point, use SOLFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER flag (you did and that's fine)

The above should make the device visible in disk management MMC module.

Please let us know the outcome.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/05/2016 19:40:22
by Dan Tower (Basic support level)

Thanks, I got the CPP SimpleMounter sample working so File History can see the drive but I don't think it's a good fit. File History will work for a few minutes and I can see the size of the storage file growing as it starts to copy all my data over. After 10 minutes or so File History will report an "Unknown Error" and say that it doesn't recognize the drive. The drive is also gone from explorer.

Running in debug mode I don't get any exceptions thrown or errors so I'm not sure what's happening. This doesn't happen when the storage file is on a USB drive instead of going across the network so I think there's a network performance issue that keeps it from being a good fit for File History.
Posted: 01/05/2016 20:02:49
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Dan Tower wrote:
After 10 minutes or so File History will report an "Unknown Error" and say that it doesn't recognize the drive. The drive is also gone from explorer.

This is something that requires investigating.

Could you please execute Process Monitor ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...essmonitor ), set there to show only logs for your CBFS virtual disk (by adding a filter rule "Path"->"begins with"->"Z:"), and reproduce the problem? Then stop the logging and look for the failed operations. Usually it's easy to match the callbacks with the Process Monitor logs. Also please save the logs in the Process Monitor native format (.pml or so) and if you find anything suspicious there, send the log to us via the HelpDesk ( https://www.eldos.com/helpdesk/ ) so that we could take a look.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2505 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!