EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Working with UNC Pathes

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 06/22/2015 08:15:50
by sh17 (Basic support level)

i testing SolFS OS in Delphi

a added a mountpoint to a storage like "test"

then i can't access this storage over Windows Explorer \\.\test

Should I not?

dosn't work
Posted: 06/22/2015 08:38:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately your question is not exactly clear. The " \\.\test" form should work but maybe not in all versions of Windows.

Mainly the hidden mounting points are used to pass the file paths to other applications for operations, rather than to browse them with Explorer.

sh17 wrote:

dosn't work

"Doesn't work" contains too little useful information. Can you please describe how exactly it doesn't work? Do you get an error message (which one?) or a blank window or ... ?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/22/2015 08:55:52

You're right, access \\.\test or \\myserver\myshare from my application works fine

how can i create a network share, which is accessible per Windows Explorer from another computer.

Is a special windows version required?
Posted: 06/22/2015 08:59:51
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

This call

creates a mounting point but doesn't automatically share it. You need to use the third parameter (flags) to specify the way you want to share the mounting point.

AddMountingPoint method will create a share with "world visible" access rights. For fine-grain security control you need to use WNet* functions of Windows instead of the flags in AddMountingPoint method.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/22/2015 09:32:54

Excuse me for my ignorance, is it possible with SolFS OS Edition to provide a SolFS Container over UNC in Windows Explorer on another computer without assign a drive letter?

can you show me the needed Delphi Code to make this mount point visible?

i want to provide access so several container like this:

Posted: 06/22/2015 10:22:06
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

There are two variants:

In this case the system (SMB) share "\\XXX\share_name" (where XXX is the computer name) will be created with access for "everyone".

2. Create any non-network mounting point. For example a "hidden" mounting point:
AddMountingPoint("test", SOLFS_SYMLINK_SIMPLE, NULL);
and then use the system NetShareAdd API with the mounting point name "\\.\test" to create any system share you want.

Unfortunately creation of network system (SMB) shares requires special security rights. Usually it is achieved by running the application as administrator.
Posted: 06/23/2015 00:56:47

i tried

and I got error 2117 , which means " The operation is invalid on a redirected resource."
Posted: 06/23/2015 03:57:10
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Moved to HelpDesk for further investigation.
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Topic viewed 5620 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!