EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SolFS Error Invalid Storage File

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 04/29/2015 18:13:56
by Tom Miller (Basic support level)

As I am evaluating the SOLFS Application product. I was properly adding files to a .ST file and closing it etc.. I would then proceed with using the sample application for .net 4.5.1 and open the container and check and indeed see that the files added were indeed there. Upon random daily testing, I have seen cases in which I would get
"ESolFSError was unhandled" "An unhandled exception of type SOLFS.ESolFSError occurred in SolFS5Net.dll"

"Additional information : SolFS Error: Invalid storage file"

This has happens several times and is extremely concerning as we wish to have clients upload files and securely store their files in the Eldos .ST file. but if the product is randomly getting corrupted on different machines Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 , then it is scary to think that a client could lose there files. 1. Is there a way to prevent corruption 2. Is there is way to "fix" a storage file that is saying "Invalid storage file?" Thanks Tom

Posted: 04/30/2015 00:20:40
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

According to provided screenshot you use SolFS in CallBack mode, don't you? The error "Invalid storage file" means that one of first three pages (sectors) contains completely invalid information. I suppose your callback code sometime writes data on invalid offset or writes more data then required. Could you please check the code of your callback functions. If you like I can check it for you. Please don't post the source code in the forum. Open please new ticket in our HelpDesk system.
Posted: 04/30/2015 00:37:15

Correct SolFSExplorerCB_VS2013

It is not able to open the storage container.

Other than me supplying code, I wanted to know if there is really any way to recover from this? Lets say you see the code and it is "fixed" and up to what you and Eldos what qualify as correctly making the calls. What if in the future it happens to get corrupted with this first three pages "sectors again, I would like to know if it is possible the repair or it is just really not feasible to be fixed. ?
Posted: 04/30/2015 00:45:43

If occurs the "Invalid storage file" error, the page is not corrupted, it is overwritten by completely wrong information. The CheckAndRepair method may try to repair the storage, but success depends on many conditions. SolFS storage never becomes invalid on normal disk, it may be corrupted but not invalid. You have to recheck your callback code.
Posted: 05/04/2015 04:06:30

Ok, for the most part I am not having trouble. I do however wish to swap out the application version for the OS version as I need more performance.
1. It should be way faster, right? 2. How similar or different are the methods in order to be able to use the OS version for doing the same operations such as adding and deleting files etc.?
3. How long should it roughly take an experienced C# developer to change from application version to the OS version? 4. Roadblocks?

thx
Tom
Posted: 05/04/2015 04:15:07

Hello

OS edition gives an ability to mount SolFS storage as a part of file system. In other words it gives to other applications an ability to work with files on SolFS storage. Most of all the speed of operations will decrease since there are few addition levels of communication between application and SolFS engine. The SolFS API is designed to be maximal identical for both App and OS edition.
Posted: 05/04/2015 10:35:00

Would it take long to swap out and implement?
Posted: 05/04/2015 13:06:42
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The minimal implementation of the code which makes use of SolFS OS edition is about a dozen of lines, so it's trivial to replace the App edition code with OS edition code. The only tricky thing is driver installation. This is done with a call to Install() method but there are many complexities there: first of all the drivers must be installed under Administrator account, and also your code should check the value of RebootNeeded parameter. In most cases driver installation is done from the application installer script rather than from the application itself.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/04/2015 14:42:33

Is this PCI Compliant?
Posted: 05/05/2015 02:15:46
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

We don't have formal certifications, if you mean this.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4516 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!