EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Using Custom Streams

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 05/09/2007 02:50:00
by Joss Burnett (Basic support level)

I am trying to test out the use of additional streams related to a single file. I believe that the format for creating or accessing these streams is "filename.extension:stream_name" however, when I attempt to create a new stream e.g:
Code
stream = new SolFSStream(m_Storage, @"test.txt:custom_stream");

I receive an exception with the message "Request Not Supported".
I am using an evaluation version of Solid File System, on Windows XP 32bit accessed via C# .net

If someone can let me know what I am doing wrong I'd really appreciate it.
Posted: 05/09/2007 03:19:30
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You must always specify fully qualified file name, i.e. the one that includes the path.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/09/2007 04:33:31

If i include a path either in the form
\\.\SolFS_Volume1\test.txt
or
H:\test.txt (if I have such a mapping) then I receieve an exception saying the path cannot be found.
However, if I exlude path information e.g
test.txt the file is created on the solid file system (unless I attempt to create a custom stream in which case it fails).

What am I doing wrong? Am I using an incorrect path format? Please could you include an example path?

Posted: 05/09/2007 04:45:19

Are you using Standard or Driver edition?

For standard edition the paths are absolute within SolFS file system, i.e. in your case the name of the file would be "\test.txt:custom_stream".

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/09/2007 05:05:26

Thanks for your swift reply.

I have both editions installed and it does not seem to matter which I reference in my project.

In either case I have no trouble creating a stream with a path of the form:
"\test.txt" (or any valid path)
but if i attempt to create a stream using the form:
"\test.txt:custom_stream"
Then I receive a "request is not supported" exception.

Many thanks
Joss B
Posted: 05/09/2007 05:15:36

Just a note: I hope you are using different license keys for different editions? Cause we recently spent 6 days trying to find out a problem and the user just used the wrong key ...

As for the problem. Can you please specify the exact error message? Source code of SolFS .NET doesn't include the message "Request not supported". There's a couple of different messages there, but not this one.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/09/2007 05:35:13

I have uninstalled the versions that I had installed. Reinstalled the driver edition and checked that I am using the supplied evaluation key.

The exact error message is "The request is not supported.\r\n"

supplied via an Exception which follows:

System.IO.IOException was caught
Message="The request is not supported.\r\n"
Source="SolFSDrv"
StackTrace:
at SolFSDrv.?A0xa57c9fe6.CheckStorageResult(Int32 StorageResult)
at SolFSDrv.SolFSStream.InternalCreate(SolFSStorage storage, String fileName, Boolean createExisting, Boolean openExisting, Boolean truncateExisting, Boolean readEnabled, Boolean writeEnabled, Boolean shareDenyRead, Boolean shareDenyWrite, String password, UInt32 encryption, Int32 reseved, SolFSCompression compression, UInt32 compressionLevel, UInt16 pagesPerCluster)
at SolFSDrv.SolFSStream..ctor(SolFSStorage storage, String fileName, FileMode mode)
at DualMount.Form1.testFileCreate() in C:\Documents and Settings\JBurnett\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\DualMount\DualMount\Form1.cs:line 148

Many Thanks
Posted: 05/09/2007 05:41:55

Understood. This is a text of the system error returned either by the OS or by the driver. I will ask the developers to check the issue.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 5574 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!