EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Can I use SolFS OS Edition in callback mode to simulate CBFS?

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 04/10/2014 09:44:11
by Dan  (Basic support level)

I'm working on a product that will essentially be a virtual drive to remote data. Since I am just starting out, my main obstacle is price. I have learned that for some reason Callback File System is way more expensive than SolFS, but I'm not sure why, and I don't understand entirely what functionality I'm losing by using SolFS OS edition in callback mode instead.

So, what I want to know, what are things I can't do in SolFS OS in callback that I can do with Callback File System? It seems strange that CBFS is so much more expensive, and yet according to the comparison chart, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. Also, it seems that SolFS provide greater functionality by having a storage option.

Why can't I just use SolFS OS callback mode and then intercept all interaction to the storage and redirect it to somewhere else? Isn't that essentially what Callback File System is doing?
Posted: 04/10/2014 09:50:31
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

In brief, SolFS is a container for data (and you can store a container in custom places) while CBFS is a redirector of filesystem requests.

With SolFS in callback mode you get pages (sectors) of the SolFS filesystem in your callbacks and you read and write those sectors. With CBFS your callbacks are called on per-file level, i.e. you are asked to read or write data of particular file.

Please see the comparison chart for details on various functions.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 2594 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!