EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

exFAT Build

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 03/27/2014 15:51:30
by Simon King (Basic support level)

Thank you very much for your kind assistance in promptly resolving issues recently encountered.

In order to continue the performance testing, I will need access to the exFAT file system name reporting version of SolFS.

In order to finalize all testing, I need the boot time supporting version of SolFS.

Is there any ETA on these items? I will be pleased to resume testing as soon as any of the above are implemented.

Thank you once again for all your kind assistance, and I wish you all a very great weekend!
Posted: 03/27/2014 15:53:18
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The option to set filesystem name will be available within 2 weeks.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/27/2014 15:57:32

Thank you very much for the update.

I do have one additional question, I just compacted a SolFS disk containing my two testing VM images - for Server 2003 and Vista SP2, both x86 under VMware.

As you can see, the file takes up more space on disk - twice more - and almost the same size it was before compaction. Is this an anomaly, or is there any reason why the free space was not reclaimed? It will be necessary for me to be able to reclaim this space fully after manual compaction.

Testing Applet: SimpleMounter (with the latest fixes as provided by your team)
Page Size: 64 KB
Compression: ZLib, 1 block per page

Posted: 03/27/2014 16:37:10

I just checked the file size again, and it appears to have normalized.

I am not sure if the OS/file system did some kind of background garbage collection.

Do you know anything about this? Is there a way to force the file size on disk to shrink immediately after a compaction call?
Posted: 03/31/2014 05:47:45
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Simon King wrote:
Do you know anything about this? Is there a way to force the file size on disk to shrink immediately after a compaction call?

Not with OS edition as the filesystem has its own caches and algorithms for optimizing backend work.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/31/2014 06:17:07

So is it some kind of EldoS specific process that kept the storage file at a large size, even after compacting it? This could be a problem if that is the case - could you please provide more information on which edition(s) and/or method(s) could be utilized for instant shrinkage?
Posted: 03/31/2014 06:24:37
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Have you checked the result value of Compact method? The storage file may be compacted only if there are no opened files and directory enumerations. OS and system services often open some files or directories and in such way prevent compacting.
Posted: 03/31/2014 06:30:16

No, the compaction completed successfully. There were no open files or other issues. If you review the screenshot I provided earlier, you will see that, despite successful compaction, the disk space taken up by the file was not freed instantly. That is what I am inquiring about.
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4704 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!