EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Strange efect on StorageFile - as virtualdisc

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 03/19/2007 03:18:46
by mirekk36 Mirek (Basic support level)

Hi,

now i'm testing strongly SolFS driver edition and have another strange efect.

I'm using compression. In my home i copy a big folder with my projects in Delphi to my storage file (virtualdisc) Storage was created with password and compression. When i come to my firm - i try to copy this big folder to my harddisc... but some files (not all) can't copy! .... i'v seen this files have attr "readonly". Ofcourse i can't change attributes in this files on my storage.

Please try copy any file with readonly attr to virtualdisc (storage file) I make this with WindowsExplorer. Now make on this disc any folder and try copy this file to this folder, and next to another folder (to folder in another harware disc) etc .... can You see the same efect like me?

in this way this file is not accesible, can't copy, open etc (tested on two PC with windows XP prof)

maybe i make something wrong but what?

when i make this tests without files with readonly attr all works good

best regs - mirek
Posted: 03/19/2007 05:06:00
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

mirekk36 Mirek wrote:
can You see the same efect like me?

no, as I don't know what effect you see.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/19/2007 05:50:19

Dear Eugene Mayewski,

och my english ;) sorry

ok try please those steps one by one like me ok?

1. make new text file on Your hard disc.
2. open this file with notepad and write anything.
3. save this file
4. take readonly attribute to this file
5. copy this file to mounted storage file as virtualdisc for example p:
6. make some folder on disc p: (eg mytest)
------------------------------------------------
7. now MOVE this textfile from p:\ to p:\mytest folder
------------------------------------------------
8. and now try to copy this file from folder p:\mytest to your hard disc, or try to clear fileattr "readonly"
---- NOW You should see what's wrong

belive me - with this simple steps have i always problem. File is not accesible. Can't erase too.

please check this steps

best regs - mirek
Posted: 04/21/2007 14:51:13

ok in new version 1.011 can i write, delete files witch readonly attr, can i change this readonly attr - but only when i don't use compression. When i try to create storage witch compression with level eg level 9 - have the same problems witch changing readolnly attr for files and deleting, copying files with readonly attr. Can U check this please?
Posted: 04/21/2007 15:02:05

If you feel that some problem is a bug, please use HelpDesk - the report will get directly to the developers. I've moved your request to HelpDesk.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/21/2007 16:26:05

ok thx for move this problem to helpdesk but i have one litle question: i'm using compression this way:
NewStorage.SetFileCompression('\', crZLib, 9, 16, '');

but question is how range is for value compressionlevel? from 0 to ... ????

next litle question: I try to write to this compressed storage file some folder(-s) and i compare next size of this storage file with eg WinZip file when i manualy compress the same folders. So WinZIPed file is very smaller than my compressed storage with the same contents of folders. Maybe make I something wrong with setting compression???
Posted: 04/22/2007 04:04:15

For ZLib the range of values is from 0 (no compression) to 9 (max.compression).

Regarding WinZip. WinZip is an archiver. It's main goal is to pack the data as much as possible. SolFS is NOT an archiver. It's goal is to provide a virtual file system. Compression is a feature to save space, but it's not at all a main goal.
From technical point of view - SolFS, as any file system, operates with pages (clusters), and this causes certain overhead. Not talking about the directory pages, index pages etc.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/22/2007 04:05:45

BTW if you need to represent some archive as a file system, take a look at Callback File System. Maybe it will fit better to your needs. Callback File System is discussed in Driver Products forum

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 4995 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!