EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Alias support in SolidFS (OS edition) ?

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 06/10/2013 07:26:15
by Mohamed Koker (Priority Standard support level)

Hi Folks,

I have what I suspect to be a rather unusual requirement.

We have two applications which currently use NTFS to store files.

One of them uses Guids to store files e.g.

C:\Guid1\Guid2\file1.txt.

The other uses the actual names of the objects these Guids are supposed to represent e.g.

C:\Project1\Device1\file2.txt.

I would like to move the files required by these applications to SolidFS but am likely to encounter a problem shortly when I implement a new requirement for these applications to share certain files.

I was hoping I could store the files in SolidFS using the guids and then use callback mode to translate requests made by the second application to the equivalent path using guids but it looks like this is not what the callback events were designed to do.

Am I missing something or can you suggest another solution to this problem?

Regards

-Mohamed
Posted: 06/10/2013 07:58:11
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Mohamed,

Please clarify what does it mean "One of them uses Guids to store files"?
Whether these GUIDs are file IDs? Or they are soft or hard links to real directories?

Thanks.
Posted: 06/10/2013 08:06:05
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

SolFS has internal support of symbolic links. Please refer to Link method documentation.

https://www.eldos.com/documentation/so..._link.html

Callback mode in SolFS cannot be used for translation of filenames. If transparent translation of filenames is required, you can use our CallbackFilter product to do this.
Posted: 06/10/2013 08:11:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

In CallbackFilter there exist reparse rules that let you redirect requests.

This functionality is being extended for more flexible handling in CallbackFilter 3.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/10/2013 08:25:00
by Mohamed Koker (Priority Standard support level)

plas wrote:
Hello

SolFS has internal support of symbolic links. Please refer to Link method documentation.

https://www.eldos.com/documentation/so..._link.html

Callback mode in SolFS cannot be used for translation of filenames. If transparent translation of filenames is required, you can use our CallbackFilter product to do this.

Can you please let me know what the overhead is in terms of memory usage for each symbolic link?

Regards

-Mohamed
Posted: 06/10/2013 09:03:34
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Symbolic link is just a file with special attribute where the path to the link destination is stored. To handle the symlink SolFS reads the path into memory and follow this path instead of the original path to symlink. There is no measurable memory overhead.
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2207 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!