EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Saving files to UNC Path

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 12/18/2012 05:27:10
by Henk Leferink (Standard support level)

Hi, sorted out the problem for Java too. Thanks!
Whether its possible to format the mounted storage file to NTFS?
Now in my explorer by default its showing FAT32. When we tried to copy some 1GB files its taking more than 30 mins. So I manually formatted the mounted drive to NTFS using Windows default format option. With NTFS, its done in < 2 mins.

Also my question why the drive is not showing SOLFS file system in explorer?
Posted: 12/18/2012 05:35:45
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Emm, SolFS IS a filesystem. You can't format a filesystem into a filesystem. While you managed to reformat the storage, this is a side effect of the way the SolFS parts (container and the filesystem) are implemented in SolFS OS edition. Formatting the container into something would make such container non-usable.

If you need NTFS container, take our CallbackDisk product and format the container into NTFS.

SolFS disks tell the OS that they have FAT32 because coders are often brainless - many applications can work with only FAT32 and NTFS and can't do anything if they come across some other filesystem name (there's also another type of mistake that often happens - assuming that any disk is either physical or network). And naming the disk as NTFS causes another brainless applications to crash when invoking undocumented NTFS functions and getting an error (which is natural, since our FS is not NTFS).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/18/2012 05:38:23
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

The speed of file operations depends on SolFS storage parameters. To reach the maximum speed of large files copying please create the storage with 64K pages and don't use transactions.
Posted: 12/18/2012 05:57:43

Hi, thanks for your informations. Increasing page size worked in our scenario. Why don't you guys give NTFS instead of FAT32? Please consider it. I know this is not the right place to give this as feature request. Sorry!

Regards,
Ben
Posted: 12/18/2012 05:58:48
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Please re-read my response above. If it needs further clarification, please ask more specific questions (so far your question is not applicable at all).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/18/2012 06:58:04

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Please re-read my response above. If it needs further clarification, please ask more specific questions (so far your question is not applicable at all).

Sorry for that. Another Q!
So far we had used the Hard drive free space as available for storage with page size of 4096 and got Blue screen. Then, we tried to follow the fixed size of 50GB and 4096 page size but its taking huge time and still not completed the format. If we set 30GB fixed size then its completing in 6 - 8 mins. Whether I'm missing something?
Posted: 12/18/2012 07:08:45

Could you please provide the dump file of the blue screen? It is very important to us to collect and investigate every blue screen which is potentially caused by our drivers. Just let me know if you have the dump file and I'll create new ticket in the HelpDesk to protect any confidential information which may include the dump file.

Which flags are you used in FormatFixedSize method calls? Actually just allocating such huge file usually take very long time, SolFS writes just small amount of data during formating. There are options to use variable size storage file or to use whole volume as SolFS formatted disk. Both of these options need less time to prepare the storage.
Posted: 12/18/2012 07:40:19

Hi, We don't have that dump file now :(. We tried the fixed size in your product sample with page size 64KB

Code
m_Storage.FormatFixedSize((long) 100 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024, SolFSFormatFlag.ffFastFormat);

We also tried whole volume as SolFS formatted disk and its created the file size with 2KB initially but we can able to give the page size only 512 or 1024 not more than that. If we try to give 4096 as page size then getting BSOD.
Posted: 12/18/2012 08:14:04

Yes, the FormatFixedSize call is correct, you can only increase page size in order to little speed up it.

The BSOD related discussion is moved to HelpDesk
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 7419 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!