EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Reading/writing part of file

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 11/09/2012 03:58:35
by Nikita  (Basic support level)

Hi.
When I read/write data from encrypted stream, and I need only few bytes, will the stored file be decrypted entirely? How much perfomance will it cost? Does it depends on encryption method? If existing methods doesn't provide this, can I implement my own with your SDK?
Posted: 11/09/2012 04:12:58
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

Only a part of the file's data will be decrypted and then encrypted if you have changed the file's data. The data in the SolFS storage organized in pages which size you specify on storage creation. It is very similar to the clusters of the usual file systems, but in SolFS every page has a 32 bytes header which is never encrypted. So, if you don't use compression the file's data will be encrypted and decrypted page by page. If the compression is used few page are handled together.

The scheme of pages encryption is a part of the SolFS design and cannot be changed via custom encryption callbacks.

According to our measurements the encryption takes a very little time in compare to disk I/O operations.

BTW. We speak Ukrainian and Russian

Statistics

Topic viewed 1633 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!