EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Need help in starting with the SOlFS

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 11/05/2012 05:11:42
by Sujesh Shakya (Basic support level)

Steps that I need to do in my code:

1) Install drivers if not installed
-> What if other client uses my product on different system. I guess i have to check for this too .

2) Create a SOlFS storage file.

3) Mount files on to the storage file.

4) Then use the file in any application i like.
-> I have to make sure that these files that i read can be used by applications like Microsoft Word, My own application, Excel, Access etc.

5) Unmount or delete the storage as soon as user exits from my application.

*Note : Files for me are fonts.

Please reply as soon as possible because I have a deadline for this task.

Posted: 11/05/2012 05:25:19
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, the list of steps is almost right.

You have to pass unique string as ProgramName parameter of function InstallDrivers and UninstallDrivers, other applications can use same drivers. Please refer to the documentation http://eldos.com/documentation/solfs/...ation.html

I don't exactly understand what does mean item number 3. You have to call AddMountingPoint function as it described here http://eldos.com/documentation/solfs/...oints.html

Do you like to have an ability to change the files on the SolFS storage by Word, Excel and other programs, or these programs should only read the files?
Posted: 11/05/2012 05:28:42

Reading the file is good enough. Actually, fonts are stored in the file system and these application should be able to use the stored fonts .
And also is there any feature that allows Soifs to know about the application that are reading data from Soifs
Posted: 11/05/2012 08:46:01

So, you can create the SolFS storage file once on your computer and then just redistribute the storage as a part of the installation.

The storage may be encrypted, but since your application will open it and pass the password it is possible to reverse engineer the application binaries and obtain the password.

You also can hide the files inside the storage from windows Explorer and any other file managers if you will not mount it as the drive letter. Just use hidden mounting point with some unique name and the applications will be able to access the files directly.

There is no ability to obtain information about the process which access the storage, but you can restrict access to the storage for only few processes which you have selected. Please refer to ProcessRestrictionsEnabled property and related topics in the documentation. http://eldos.com/documentation/solfs/...abled.html
Posted: 11/06/2012 02:03:25

I'll go through these features provided by SOLFS system.

For now, my requirement is to show a demo to the client about how this system works. How may I use the stored files i.e fonts from the virtual file system and assure that these fonts con be used by applications such as MSWord,Excel,Photoshop etc. I would prefer doing it in the sample code that you have provided i.e Simple Monitor since every thing is set up.

Any suggestions!
Posted: 11/06/2012 02:23:02

The simplest way is to add disc mounting point such as X: by appropriate button in the Simple Mounter example. Any application can access this disc and read the files (the files of fonts in your case) from there.
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:14:51

I am able to write files on to the virtual drive and then read this file to use it in various applications.

But, My concern now is the security of the files in the SOLFS system.

What are the ways that i can achieve them?

If I go to the virual drive and double click on the saved file i can view the contents...In what way can i achieve data security for this?
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:23:58
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

First of all you need to enable storage encryption and process restrictions (please use the help file for information about them).

Then please read this: https://www.eldos.com/solfs/articles/78-282.php

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/09/2012 00:22:37

Thank you for the quick support you have given.

I'm able use the SOLFS file system now.

One more question though, How can we hide the mounting drive that is shown ? i.e the Mounting point such as (X:).

Also do we need to create a mounting point to access the files stored or is the volume enough.

Posted: 11/09/2012 00:54:11

Yes, at least one mounting point must exists and by default SolFS creates one hidden mounting point with name SolFS_VolumeX, where X is some number starting with 1.

There is no way to hide drive letter mounting point such as (X:). It is definitely visible for all applications, but access can be restricted via our process restrictions mechanism.

You can create new hidden mounting point or use the hidden mounting created by default. But the files on the hidden mounting point can be accessed only by fully qualified file names such as (\\.\SolFSVolumeX\Dir\FileName.ext). Such files cannot be opened via standard file open dialog. If it is affordable for you it is the best way to hide SolFS volume.

If you like to mount volume as drive letter but have more flexible restrictions for processes you can take a look to our CallbackFilter product.
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Topic viewed 10124 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!