EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SolFsDrv.SolFsStorage.FormatFixedSize() usage

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 01/15/2007 07:20:42
by Miguel De Buf (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,
I have three questions regarding a fixed size drive :
1. What is the meaning of the 'flags' parameter for the .FormatFixedSize() function ?
2. Is there a way to resize (enlarge and/or shrink) a fixed size drive without loosing the data already stored on the drive ?
3. How can I use the onProgress Delegate from within VB.Net or C# ? Or is this callback only usable by calling the native dll ?
Many thanks,
Miguel
Posted: 01/15/2007 07:41:33
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Miguel De Buf wrote:
What is the meaning of the 'flags' parameter for the .FormatFixedSize() function ?

From documentation:

Flags - Reserved.

Miguel De Buf wrote:
Is there a way to resize (enlarge and/or shrink) a fixed size drive without loosing the data already stored on the drive ?

No. That's why it's called fixed-sized.

If you describe your task in more details, maybe we can find some solution or add some option. I mean the task of making a fixed-size storage, why you need to use it.

Miguel De Buf wrote:
How can I use the onProgress Delegate from within VB.Net or C# ? Or is this callback only usable by calling the native dll ?

Should be useable from C# too. I need to ask the developers.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/15/2007 07:57:18

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Flags - Reserved.

So, it does not matter what value is passed. Strange, if this value is reserved, why then can it be passed by value to .FormatFixedSize() ?

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
If you describe your task in more details, maybe we can find some solution or add some option. I mean the task of making a fixed-size storage, why you need to use it.

Well, I want to use the non-fixed-size with the autocompact() feature, but I would like to limit its size. Adding a MaxSize() property would be great. The drive's size on the OS should be reported as being this size then. With the current version, the maxsize is only limited by the size of the physical drive.

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Should be useable from C# too. I need to ask the developers.

Please, can you ask the developers for a small example ? The documentation is not clear on that, and there is no overload mentioning the Delegate.

Many thanks,
Miguel
Posted: 01/15/2007 08:27:04

Miguel De Buf wrote:
So, it does not matter what value is passed. Strange, if this value is reserved, why then can it be passed by value to .FormatFixedSize() ?

I am not sure that I understand your question. The parameter is reserved for future use. For example, we've recently implemented (not released yet) a FastFormat flag for fast formatting of the storage.

Miguel De Buf wrote:
Well, I want to use the non-fixed-size with the autocompact() feature, but I would like to limit its size. Adding a MaxSize() property would be great. The drive's size on the OS should be reported as being this size then. With the current version, the maxsize is only limited by the size of the physical drive.

There's a property named MaxPageCount for limiting maximum storage size.

Miguel De Buf wrote:
Please, can you ask the developers for a small example ? The documentation is not clear on that, and there is no overload mentioning the Delegate.

An overload for what method/event?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/15/2007 09:05:32

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
I am not sure that I understand your question. The parameter is reserved for future use. For example, we've recently implemented (not released yet) a FastFormat flag for fast formatting of the storage.

OK, it is clear to me now.
Eugene Mayevski wrote:
There's a property named MaxPageCount for limiting maximum storage size.

Is this property already available ? I have SolFs driver edition version 1.0.0 (12 dec 2006 - found on changes.txt). SolFsStorage does not have the MaxPageCount() property (yet?). Or do I have to set it somewhere else ?
Eugene Mayevski wrote:
An overload for what method/event?

It is all about FormatFixedSize() :
[VB]
Sub FormatFixedSize( ByVal pageSize As System.UInt64, ByVal flags As System.UInt32)
Posted: 01/15/2007 09:20:57

Miguel De Buf wrote:
Is this property already available ? I have SolFs driver edition version 1.0.0 (12 dec 2006 - found on changes.txt). SolFsStorage does not have the MaxPageCount() property (yet?). Or do I have to set it somewhere else ?

Missing from the interface :(. I've added this to ToDo for the upcoming update.

Miguel De Buf wrote:
It is all about FormatFixedSize() :

Maybe we are talking about different things. FormatFixedSize doesn't have an overload.

There's OnProgress event in SolFSStorage class, and this event is documented (you can find it via Index). Also will be fixed.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/16/2007 02:56:56

Any idea when when I can expect the upcoming update ?
Thanks,
Miguel
Posted: 01/16/2007 03:15:05

In 3-4 days, I think - there's a problem with Compact not working, yet to fix.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/22/2007 03:37:29

Hi,
I checked out the new release, and saw that the MaxPageCount() property is available in the interface. It works perfect. But, the windows explorer still indicates the free disk space as drive size for the mounted virtual drive. When using a fixed size drive, this is correctly showing the drive size. Is it possible to change this behavior ? It is more natural to my opinion to see the MaxPageCount() size because the drive cannot store more than that anyway.
Many thanks,
Miguel
Posted: 01/22/2007 04:44:23

Yes, this will be changed.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 6266 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!