EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Use SolFSDrv to store/encrypt database file

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 01/04/2007 04:09:57
by Miguel De Buf (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,
I can mount a SolFS drive, and attach a drive letter to it. I can put a database file on it, and open the database using odbc (or whatever). Is there a way to hide the drive, so the end user does not see the mounted drive letter, and still be able to open the database as if it were a regular file ??
Posted: 01/04/2007 04:21:58
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You can create a mounting point, which will be a UNC path (and not a drive letter). This will hide the drive from the user (to certain extent, as the devices can be enumerated using special tools).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/05/2007 06:06:17
by Miguel De Buf (Priority Standard support level)

Could you please give me an example ?
This is the small test code I use :

m_objStorage = New SolFSStorage()
With m_objStorage
.PageSize = 4096
.UseTransactions = False
.UseAccessTime = False
.PathSeparator = "\"
.Logo = ""
.FileName = m_strImgFile
.Open(StorageOpenMode.somCreateAlways)
End With
m_objStorage.AddMountingPoint("i:")
m_objStorage.AddMountingPoint("\\test\ttt")

The first AddMountingPoint() succeeds, and I have the i: drive available. The second one fails. What exactly do you mean by 'create a mounting point, which will be a UNC path' ?

Many thanks,
Miguel
Posted: 01/05/2007 09:12:27

The text below is taken from the help file:

Mounting Points (Driver Edition only)

When the file system driver mounts a volume, the volume must be accessible via certain mounting point. This is the name which will be used by the system to access this volume. Each volume must have at least one mounting point, and it can have several mounting points if necessary.

When Solid File System driver mounts a volume, the volume automatically gets a "\\.\SolFS_VolumeN" mounting point, where N is the consecutive number. The application can add it's own mounting point and delete the default one if needed.

The functions, which work with mounting volumes, accept point names with "\\.\" part omited. So if you want to delete the name "\\.\SolFS_Volume1", call DeleteMountingPoint() method and pass "SolFS_Volume1" as the name.

You can add mounting points that will be visible to the user by specifying the "disk name" as a mounting point. The disk name consists of a single character in range A to Z followed by a colon, for example "Z:".

Alternatively you can create mounting points that will be only visible when you call them using their names. Such points start with "\\.\" followed by point name (remember that SolFS methods omit the "\\.\" part), for example "\\.\MySecretDisk".

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/05/2007 09:29:04

The description can be a bit confusing.

You need to call AddMountingPoint("MyDisk")

and then use the file names like "\\.\MyDisk\MyFile.dbf".

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4722 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!