EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Using solfs to create a user visible folder and then monitor changes

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 04/25/2012 01:19:50
by p p (Basic support level)

i am currently evaluating solfs for achieving following requirement of my application.
1.Create a folder on user machine where my application is running.This folder should be accessible through window explorer to the user.User can use use this folder just like any other folder on his machine.he can copy files to this,deletes file from here etc.
2.i need to monitor this folder through callback or some other mechanism so that whenever user adds/delete file or modify an existing file my application should get notified.

Is it possible to achieve all these using ONLY the solfs.i cant use callback filters as currently it is not supported on Mac OSx.
This is really urgent on making a buy decision.
Posted: 04/25/2012 01:44:57
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

Current version of SolFS OS edition doesn't support mounting as a directory in Windows (the right name of such kind of mounting is 'NTFS junction point'). You can mount SolFS volume as usual disk letter, and it will be available accessible for users via Explorer and any other applicaion. The upcoming new SolFS 5 version will be able to mount as NTFS junction point. Under Mac OS mounting as a directory is the only one possible type of mounting.

On both Windows and Mac OS there are system mechanisms for directory monitoring. Please refer to appropriate documentation:

Windows: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...s.85).aspx

Mac OS: http://developer.apple.com/library/ma...89-CH4-SW4
Posted: 04/25/2012 02:10:05

Thanks for the quick response.Could you please redirect me to some example where drive mounting supported by current implementation is shown.Also to confirm we need OS edition to mount as drive right?on top of that we can use the native OS APIs to monitor the mounted drive for any changes like adding/deleting/modifying files?
thanks again.
Posted: 04/25/2012 02:25:50

Download please SolFS OS edition from the site https://www.eldos.com/solfs/download-release.php

Both Windows and Mac OS packages contain example applications which can creates and mounts the storage. For Windows it's a GUI application, for Mac OS it's a command line application.
Posted: 04/25/2012 10:43:53

Thanks.
Now what i want to try next in order to evaluate is to create storage and mount it as drive.i am trying to use your sample applications for this.
1.To create a storage i am using sample application located in EldoS\SolFS\Win32\Samples\Storages.First of all this was missing the libary so i added SolFS.lib located in SolFS\Win32\StaticLib.
Now when i run this executable i get error code logged in console as 5.
Could not find out what this particular error code means and how to resolve this.
Would truly appreciate your help to resolve this.
please note that im running application edition for this.
Posted: 04/25/2012 12:08:40

Seems like you use Application edition of SolFS. Download please OS edition. All examples for OS edition are named SimpleMounter.
Posted: 04/25/2012 23:04:01

but simple mounter does not create storage which can be mounted right?
Posted: 04/26/2012 01:19:09

i have modified SimpleMounter sample application to first create storage and then mount it.I have modified onMount() function like this.
void OnMount()
{
TCHAR StorageName[MAX_PATH + 1] = TEXT("C:\demosolfs.st");
//if (!SelectStorageFile(StorageName, MAX_PATH + 1))
//return;

Storage->set_FileName(StorageName);
//Storage->ForceUnmount(StorageName);
Storage->Open(somCreateAlways);
UpdateList();
UpdateAllButtons();
}

But now when i run this application and click Mount nothing happens.could you please tell me what the problem could be.
Posted: 04/26/2012 01:38:48

The mounting point list should be updated and the mounting point with name SolFS_Volume1 should be added. Then you can add another mounting point with "Add point" button. New mounting point can be the disk letter, "X:" for example.
Posted: 04/26/2012 02:36:44

i Found the issue.inside SolFSStorage::create() we are calling StorageCreate which is returning an error code 110.From your documentation on error i see that this is a OS error.Looking at windows documentation i found it to be saying "The system cannot open the device or file specified."so i suspect that there is something wrong in my code snippet here
void OnMount()
{
TCHAR StorageName[MAX_PATH + 1] = TEXT("C:\demosolfs.st");
//if (!SelectStorageFile(StorageName, MAX_PATH + 1))
//return;

Storage->set_FileName(StorageName);
//Storage->ForceUnmount(StorageName);
Storage->Open(somCreateAlways);
UpdateList();
UpdateAllButtons();
}
My intention here is to create a storage first as c:\demosolfs.st and then mount.Could you please tell me what im doing wrong here.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 7424 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!