EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SolFS storage modified when reading file from it

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 11/22/2006 02:09:52
by Jure Bogataj (Priority Standard support level)

Hello!

Can I disable SolFS to modify SolFS storage file when only reading files from it? I was trying to read one file from SolFS storage and it changed storage's ModifyDate attribute. The reason I'm asking this is because we have a lot of problems backing up a large amount of data (>1 TB) and I would like to backup only actual changed SolFS storages, not the ones I've just read from.

Is this possible?

Best regards,
Jure
Posted: 11/22/2006 02:16:20

Just discovered one more thing. SolFS storage gets modified (changed ModifyDate on FileSystem) when closing it. And it changes fifth byte inside SolFS storage file. What does that byte mean?
Posted: 11/22/2006 02:42:08
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello.

To disable any modifications of storage file open it in ReadOnly mode.

Can you tell me values of this fifth byte before and after modification. Normally fifth byte of any SolFS storage is 0x20 and it never changes.
Posted: 11/22/2006 02:59:05

The values were 0xB1 before modification and 0xCB after modification. I suspect it changed on closing of SolFS storage file (or maybe when I ended my process implementing SolFS storage management)?
Posted: 11/22/2006 03:06:44

Sorry, my mistake! Fifth byte is 0x20, what gets changed it's byte on offset 0x109C (before 0xC3, after 0xBB). I assume this is different offset in every SolFS storage file, since it must mean some sort of access date or something?
Posted: 09/26/2013 05:50:37
by Robbie De Suter (Standard support level)

Hello,

This is an old thread, but we still see the same behavior today. I would like to ask if you can suggest a more workable solution to prevent that the modification date is changed when you close a file?

The proposed "read-only" solution is not workable in our scenario: we do not know if a user will be adding/editing the container or not. Also, we want to open the container in write mode to prevent any other process from accessing the same file (locking the file on OS level). In the past we opened the container read-only and as soon as a user wanted to change something we re-opened it in write-mode, but that resulted in so many issues that we needed to abandon that method.

So any other workaround or solution is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Robbie De Sutter
Posted: 09/26/2013 07:16:53
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Moved to HelpDesk
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4784 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!