EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Need help with driver installation via InstallShield

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 08/08/2011 15:17:34
by Steve Lawson  (Basic support level)

First off, I admit this is not an issue Eugene or other Eldos staff should feel any responsibility to assist with. I'm sure everyone at Eldos has better things to do (and rightfully so).

I've been working with "lesser" installation programs for years (ie: InnoSetup, etc). But now, in evaluating Eldos products, it seems - if I want to install the drivers as part of the initial application installation procedure - I need to use one of the "Big Boys" (aka: InstallShield, InstallAnywhere, Wise, etc). I used to use Wise *many* years ago. Today's versions of these installers is huge and complex! What a learning curve!

Anyway... if anyone can tell me how to manage the installation of solfs.sys and soldisk.sys using any of the current setup applications (as above), I'd sure appreciate it. I have access to InstallShield and InstallAware. I might be able to use a friend's Wise installation.

One thing I'm really not sure on is how to include the drivers for BOTH 32bit and 64bit. Do I rename them? And then during the dll call specify the altered names? And I'm not sure about the parameter types, either. Each installer seems to have its own types - for example, I don't see that InstallAware is really set up for a dll with a return type of BOOL (as the Eldos documentation specifies).

Basically, if anyone can offer up that info, and maybe even the script lines, you would certainly save me several hours of reading and experimentation.

Thanks in advance to anybody who assists!
Posted: 08/08/2011 15:45:44
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

First of all, any installer that supports calling external DLLs will work. InnoSetup supports this operation as well.

Now about your actual question - the answer depends on the installer :). With Wise the task is trivial. BOOL type in C is an alias to 32-bit unsigned long, so you can use int or long or whatever your installer uses for 32-bit values. The question of LPBOOL parameter is more complicated - the installer must support in/out parameters.

If your installer of choice has troubles using the DLL we provide, you can make the following trick: implement your own DLL which will call SolFSStorage::InstallDrivers function internally. And your DLL will be able to export functions with parameters that work for your installer.

As for driver sets - just install them into subfolders (you can use the same structure that we have, for example). Renaming is probably not the best idea due to possible conflicts with other applications.

In next release we will provide one CAB file (in the same way installation works in CallbackDisk and Callback File System now).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/09/2011 06:01:25
by Steve Lawson  (Basic support level)

Thank you, Eugene. You pointed out an additional requirement (which I had failed to mention): the requirement of the installer to support in/out parameters. This, too, was one issue confusing my efforts - in reviewing documentation for InstallAware, for example, it is not clear whether in/out parameters are supported - or not. Again, the complexity of today's installers!

Thank you for mentioning Wise Installer. If I understand you correctly, Wise may simplify installation. I shall investigate - hopefully it will be clear that Wise supports in/out parameters.

Thank you again, Eugene, for responding to this out-of-scope request for assistance!

Topic viewed 2044 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!