EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Can I access the file with windows path?

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 12/29/2010 02:33:20
by Chee Peng Oh (Standard support level)

Hi, let's say I have a file call test.docx, stored in SolFS.

Is there any way that let Microsoft Word to open the file, and when the user click save button, it save back to SolFS?

Thanks.
Posted: 12/29/2010 02:40:41
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, use OS edition of SolFS.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/29/2010 02:59:06
by Chee Peng Oh (Standard support level)

Ok, here is what I want. I need a folder than only my application can access, user can't access it by double click the folder. so I tried Application edition, and create a virtual storage to store it.

It works well, but until 1 scenario, when my user open a file from the virtual storage, and he is unable to save the file back to the virtual storage. (it can be done with other ugly way, but, what's the point...)

So I want to know, is OS edition able to create a storage or locked folder? Because I don't want a virtual drive appear in My Computer.

Thanks.
Posted: 12/29/2010 03:24:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, with OS edition you can create hidden storages bu UNC path. Such disks don't have a drive letter so they are not easily visible in other applications, though they are accessible.

Note, that if you let the user load the file from your storage (eg. using text editor), the user can use (a) Save As function of the editor to save the file outside of the storage, and (b) Open File dialog of the editor to copy files to/from the storage.

Such potential misuse of Open File dialog seems to be a major security hole in application design, yet there's no solution for it yet.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2136 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!