EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Data Access Queries

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 09/08/2010 07:46:59
by Ankit Jain (Basic support level)

1. Is there any way(like cache or other) to access files/data stored/written in SolFS Storage other than through mounted points ?

2. I've written a file (with encryption) in the storage, when does the decryption method is called - while opening the file OR decrypted data is already stored anywhere else during 'writing'/ 'Mounting .st file' process ?

3. Let's say I've 'XYZ.txt' file written in the storage. m_ProcessRestrictionsEnabled is set TRUE AND MyApp.exe is granted process with ChildProcesses boolean set TRUE.I am opening this file through MyApp.exe in notepad(one of child process). Can this file be opened in NOTEPAD through other application (MyApp.exe is running/closed)?
Posted: 09/08/2010 08:22:20
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

1) From your application - via SolFS API. From other applications - access the storage (if it's not protected) by opening the container file with SolFS built into that other applications.
2) Decryption takes place each time the data is read from the media. Decryption doesn't happen before.
3) No

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/08/2010 08:31:01

Is there any way (other than encryption) to restrict other applications(either SolFS built into that or not) to open/use any specific .st file?
Posted: 09/08/2010 09:28:33

The articles in SolFS knowledgebase describe how you can mangle the container to prevent opening of the storage using SolFS library outside of your application. This is done via callbacks.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/09/2010 01:00:07

I've set FileName == "XYZ" AND StorageType == sdtVirtualDisk AND DestroyOnProcessTerminated == TRUE, and then open the storage with tag == somCreateAlways
Now I am writing some file/data in the storage.
Then I close/Unmount the storage
Observation: a file named "XYZ"(storage file) created on the physical disk with all the data written.
Query: what exactly goes in-memory (I was thinking the whole storage would be created in-memory and on unmount/app-crash/system-breakdown whole data goes away)?

2.A sample code, handling callback events for SolFS would be appreciated.
Posted: 09/09/2010 02:18:52

StorageType property has nothing to do with where the storage is actually kept. Unless you use a callback mode (please refer to the articles), the storage file is always used.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.

Topic viewed 2346 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!