EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Inserting documents to SFS File in MultiThreaded environment

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 09/29/2009 07:09:00
by gürcan yücel (Standard support level)

Hi All,
I have a program that have 10 threads. Every thread reads a blob data (which is a file) from DB and tries to insert it to a SolFS file. In evert thread I have a function to insert the document. In this function I always creating the storage and free it. In some threads Im getting;
"Storage Error: Can not perform this opeartion on read only storage"

Here is my Thread function;
Function TFileConvert.MoveToStorage(FDocNo:Integer;FFolder:String;FFileName:String):Boolean;
Var
FSTName:String;
Begin
try
FSTName:=f_convert.SavePath+InttoStr(TRUNC(FDocNo/10000)+1)+'.SF';
FStorage:=TSolFSStorage.Create(nil);
FStorage.FileName:=FSTName;
FStorage.PageSize:=4096;
if FileExists(FSTName) then
FStorage.Open(somOpenExisting)
else
FStorage.Open(somCreateAlways);
FStorage.FilesToStorage(f_convert.SavePath,ExtractFileName(FFileName),faAnyFile,False,FFolder,omAll);
FreeAndNil(FStorage);
Result:=True;
except
on e:exception do
begin
f_convert.Memo1.Lines.Add('EXCEPTION:'+IntToStr(FDocNo)+':'+e.Message);
Result:=False;
end;
end;
End;

According to FDocNO, storage changes. For this reason I cant create the storage first. What is doing wrong?

Regards.
Posted: 09/29/2009 07:51:32
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Hello

You have to open the storage file one time outside your threads, use this one instance of TSolFSStorage class in all threads and them close storage instance when all threads done.

This error may occur when you open already opened storage.
Posted: 09/29/2009 07:57:09

Hi Plas,
Ok. Understand. In my case there is multiple storages. For this reason every thread have its own TSolFSStorage object. I thought that it can be done via this way.

I understand that its not possible to write SolFS storage in multi threaded environment if there is multiple storage files to chose. Is it possible to just READ in multi threaded environment?

Regards.
Posted: 09/29/2009 08:03:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You can open the same storage from multiple threads in read-only mode, this is possible. If you need to write to one storage from multiple threads, then you need to do as Alex mentioned, - open the storage once and use one TSolFSStorage object from several threads (this is safe). You can also open multiple different storages from different threads.

In other words, the only thing you can't do is open the same storage in read-write mode several times concurrently (from different threads of the process or from different processes, it doesn't matter). Other combinations work.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/29/2009 08:05:38

No, there is a rule: one storage file – one storage object. SolFS maintains in-memory cache and this makes impossible to read and write simultaneously with different storage objects.

You can read and write simultaneously with Driver Edition, or maintain a pool of storage objects manually with appropriate synchronization.
Posted: 09/29/2009 08:24:51

Thank you for the answer.
What do you mean pool of storage objects?
Creating every possible storage and waiting for insert or select? Within a proper critical section?

Regards.
Posted: 09/29/2009 08:47:32

Thank you for the answer.
What do you mean pool of storage objects?
Creating every possible storage and waiting for insert or select? Within a proper critical section?

Yes, something likes this. Alternatively, you may create and open storage objects on demand and then close and destroy it after some period of inactivity. All storage opens and closes must be synchronized with the critical section.
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2927 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!