EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

NTFS Permissions & ACLs

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 09/18/2009 13:24:49
by Nathaniel Jozef Przystupa (Standard support level)

Hello,
I have just bought a copy of Solid File System (Driver Edition) and only just realized that it doesn't have a permissions tab!

Is there a way of storing NTFS file (& folder) permissions? I intend to create backup software using Solid File System and its kind of crucial to have everything backed up including the security acls.

Will this be implemented in the future and if so, how long will it be?

Also, will I be able to get it as an update or will I have to buy another license?

Many Thanks,
Nathaniel JP
Posted: 09/18/2009 14:47:07
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If you plan to write files to the storage from your application (using SolFS API functions) then you can write NTFS security information to additional stream of the file (NTFS stores ACLs in alternate streams as well).

However, at the moment SolFS doesn't store or expose file security attributes to the OS. We will add this to ToDo list for SolFS 2.0, which is planned for the end of Winter. You will get free upgrade when version 2.0 is available.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/18/2009 15:30:00
by Nathaniel Jozef Przystupa (Standard support level)

Hello Eugene,

Thank you for the prompt reply. How would I go about writing an alternate stream?

I'm using Delphi 2009. Have you got any examples/sample coding for doing this?

Many Thanks,
Nathaniel JP
Posted: 09/19/2009 00:55:16
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Please see the topic in documentation. There's a problem with < and > in this topic, we'll correct it in documentation source for the next build.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2677 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!