EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Storage Password Clarification

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 01/27/2009 05:57:34
by J S (Priority Standard support level)

I'm using the static library on Windows XP

1. What is StorageSetPassword for?

I tried using it and then realized that it actually does nothing, using StorageSetEncryption does what i'm looking for.

Code
error = StorageSetEncryption (storage, encryption, 0, 0, password, passwordLength);

That seems to work. (SolFS Explorer is asking for a password before it can open it) Great.

2. Is the encryption used and/or applied when writing or reading to and from the storage?

Also when I view my storage file in Visual Studio I can clearly see that it was generated with the SolFS library. (Visual Studio opens unknown file formats in binary view.)

Code
NW
SolFS for Windows © EldoS Corporation

Isn't this a security hole?

I know you guys don't give out the library source code to everyone, but if someone really wanted to hack into the file the company name and library kinda gives them a leg up no?

Thank You
Posted: 01/27/2009 06:22:21
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Jacob Sologub wrote:
I'm using the static library on Windows XP

1. What is StorageSetPassword for?

You should use this method to specify password after storage opening.

I tried using it and then realized that it actually does nothing, using StorageSetEncryption does what i'm looking for.

Code
error = StorageSetEncryption (storage, encryption, 0, 0, password, passwordLength);

That seems to work. (SolFS Explorer is asking for a password before it can open it) Great.

2. Is the encryption used and/or applied when writing or reading to and from the storage?

Also when I view my storage file in Visual Studio I can clearly see that it was generated with the SolFS library. (Visual Studio opens unknown file formats in binary view.)

Code
NW
SolFS for Windows © EldoS Corporation

I know you guys don't give out the library source code to everyone, but if someone really wanted to hack into the file the company name and library kinda gives them a leg up no?

Thank You

You have seen a storage file signature (NW) and storage logo (SolFS for Windows © EldoS Corporation). You can specify your storage logo in StorageCreate, StorageFormatFixedSize functions. In addition, you can change it anytime by StorageSetLogo function. SolFS encrypts whole storage except index pages (in the first index page you can see NW signature), base page of storage (there are both signature and logo) and content of RootData file.

Please refer to http://www.eldos.com/documentation/so...anced.html for additional information.
Posted: 01/27/2009 06:48:20
by J S (Priority Standard support level)

My apologies for not noticing the logo...

Code
long result = StorageCreate (name, true, 512, NULL, &storage, '/', false, false);

I overlooked that bit.
Posted: 01/27/2009 06:54:37
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

You should specify for logo at least one not null character. For example "\1" or anything you like.
Posted: 01/27/2009 08:08:48
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Jacob Sologub wrote:

No. Please read the articles in the knowledgebase. Please read all three of them, as they describe the same question from different points of view. They address exactly your question.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3422 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!