EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Storing data in RootData

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 01/07/2009 04:28:27
by Chike Eze (Basic support level)

Could you clarify the use of the RootData section of the SolFS (standard edition) on a Windows Xp machine, programing in .NET 2.0.
Is it possible to retrieve the stream stored in the RootData without first opening the Solid File system.

Here is the pseudo-code:
0. Initialize storage object
1. Create storage "storage.st" and encrypt entire file using password "protect"
2. Store password "protect" in RootData of storage.st
3. Close new storage "storage.st" (password protected)
4. Initialize storage object storage.st
5. Open RootData and retrieve password "protect" from storage.st
6. Open storage file "storage.st" using password "protect"; retrieved from RootData

Is the above scenario possible? I tried calling OpenRootData() before the Open() method of the SolFSStorage object.
This generated the following error: Can not perform this operation on not active storage! Am I missing a step?

Question: Can the RootData of a Storage be accessed prior to calling the Open(StorageOpenMode mode) method??
So far it seems like I need to open the Storage file before accessing the RootData. Also, the documentation on RootData seems limited can you provide me with extra documentation.

PS. This is a C# implementation

Regards,

Eze
Posted: 01/07/2009 06:37:20
by Alexander Plas (EldoS Corp.)

Your last steps should be:
5. Open storage file "storage.st" without any password
6. Open RootData and retrieve password "protect" from storage.st
7. Set storage password as "protect"; retrieved from RootData
Posted: 01/07/2009 06:58:58
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Also there's a knowledgebase which contains several articles about security in SolFS and how to use it right. And there's also a How-to topic about RootData in the help file (not the description of OpenRootData, but a How-to topic).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/07/2009 13:57:14
by Chike Eze (Basic support level)

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Also there's a [URL=http://www.eldos.com/solfs/articles/]knowledgebase[/URL] which contains several articles about security in SolFS and how to use it right. And there's also a How-to topic about RootData in the help file (not the description of OpenRootData, but a How-to topic).

I just searched the Knowledgebase but was unable to find the RootData How-to info.
Can you provide an example of how this would work or send me the actual section on RootData.

It is my understanding that after the following steps
5. Open storage file "storage.st" without any password
6. Open RootData and retrieve password "protect" from storage.st
7. Set storage password as "protect"; retrieved from RootData

On subsequent access to the Storage file (i.e. after closing and opening now password protected file) I should be able to access the RootData, retrieve the password and open the Storage file.

Please provide sample code if possible (C# code would do)
Posted: 01/07/2009 15:40:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Chike Eze wrote:
I just searched the Knowledgebase but was unable to find the RootData How-to info.

How-to are in the documentation, not in the knowledgebase. I mentioned this above.

Chike Eze wrote:
On subsequent access to the Storage file (i.e. after closing and opening now password protected file) I should be able to access the RootData, retrieve the password and open the Storage file.

I am not sure what you mean by "on subsequent access".
Once you got the storage password from the root data, you set it to StoragePassword property and continue to use the storage without any re-opening of this storage. Of course, if you need to close it and open it later, you can do this (if you are sure that you are re-opening the same storage, whose password you already have).

Samples are a benefit of Standard support level, available for those users, who purchased a license.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 3161 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!