EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

"Hidden" mount point not supported in Vista?

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 10/30/2008 05:17:38
by Jon Anders  (Basic support level)

I am using your supplied SimpleMounter application for testing.

Within the SimpleMounter application I have added code to execute regsvr32 against a file stored in the mounted SolFS volume.

In Windows XP, the following statement (added to SimpleMounter, following the mount) executes properly:
Shell("regsvr32 \\.\Solfs_volume1\tree.ocx /s")
The component is then properly registered.

In Vista, that statement appears to throw an error:
************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The network path was not found at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)

If, however, I add an explicit mount point (ie:"P:") and execute the relevant command, the statement executes properly, as it does in Windows XP.
Shell("regsvr32 P:\tree.ocx /s")

Is the above error to be expected in Vista? Is there a workaround to permit for use of hidden mount point in Vista?
Posted: 10/30/2008 06:21:32
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, the problem exists. But now we're working on a feature that will help to resolve it. In more details it will be possible to open files on SolFS virtual disks using UNC-path.
Posted: 08/29/2009 06:31:31
by Jon Anders  (Basic support level)

I have been monitoring Change History for mention of support for hidden mount points in Vista. I have not seen any relevant notations. With more and more users moving to Vista (or being forced to do so), this capability would become increasingly important to me.

Are hidden mount points now supported in Vista? If not, when do you predict they may be supported?
Posted: 09/01/2009 04:06:45
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

The feature that I mentioned above has already been implemented in another our product CallbackFS and we are going to add it into SolFS in the nearest future.

I've checked your problem with this new feature as well as with hidden mounting point and found that regsvr32 installs an ocx-file successfully in both cases. But it's only necessary to run regsvr32 "as admin" (i.e. with elevated administrative privileges).
Although I used another ocx-file than tree.ocx and ran regsvr32 from the command line I think that it also should work in your case. Please try it again but run regsvr32 "as admin". Also create the global mounting points (there is a parameter that specifies that in the AddMountingPoint functions).

Topic viewed 3385 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!