EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SolFSStorage.addMountingPoint() : volume mount points

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 06/10/2008 12:49:20
by Miguel De Buf (Priority Standard support level)

Is it possible to mount a SolFS image as a directory instead as of a drive letter ? I mean just like you mount volumes on a unix system.

I tried using mountvol.exe to try to mount \\.\SolFS_Volume1 onto C:\mnt for example, but did not succeed. I tried to pinvoke the win32api call to SetVolumeMountPoint() but did not succeed either.

Have you tried that already with success ?

Miguel
Posted: 06/10/2008 13:11:17
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment. This is done via reparse points or via complicated logic of file system filter driver. Both approaches are generally possible, but not with SolFS. We will investigate the possibility of creating a helper driver that would let one create reparse points for all of our virtual disk products.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/10/2008 14:51:25
by Miguel De Buf (Priority Standard support level)

Is there another way of exposing a solfs image to explorer, if I did e.g. addMountingPoint("mnt") ? As I understand, a device \\.\mnt will be created. And I want to access in windows explorer without having to addMountingPoint("X:") for example.

Why would reparse points currently not work ? I thought it did not matter what the volume format of the target volume was, only that the reparse point itself was located on an NTFS filesystem.
Posted: 06/10/2008 23:58:24
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Miguel De Buf wrote:
Is there another way of exposing a solfs image to explorer, if I did e.g. addMountingPoint("mnt") ?

No. Some additions will be made soon in order to make this work.

Miguel De Buf wrote:
Why would reparse points currently not work ?

Reaprse points are not simple redirectors built into Windows. They require a different *class* of driver to be created. We need to complete the plug-n-play driver first to expose the "disk device" to the system. Then we can move further to the reparse point support.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2653 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!