EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Errors Using Public/Private key Pair with SFTP

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 11/07/2007 15:29:48
by James Galarneault (Standard support level)

I am using the .NET SimpleSFTPDemo and I can connect fine if I use a user ID and password. However, when I try to use a key pair I get the following errors:

Server key received, fingerprint is
Authentication type 16 failed
Authentication type 2 failed
Authentication type 4 failed
SFTP error 114
SFTP connection failed: Connection lost

I am using a SSH2-RSA key with the transfer and have copied the public key into the authorized_keys file on the unix server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted: 11/08/2007 01:12:24
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

And how exactly are you loading the key on the client side? What key you are specifying?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/08/2007 13:40:39

What I have done is this.

Created a public/private key pair.

I manually transferred the public key to the unix server and appended it to the authorized_keys file on the user ID that I use to log in.

In the Demo program, I type in the server I want to SFTP to, my user ID, and then select the private key file and then input the password I put on the private key.

Did I do this wrong or did I copy the wrong key over?
Posted: 11/08/2007 13:48:24
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You did everything right. Please try doing the same with DSS (DSA) key.
We don't have a ready solution, but there were several reports (not resolved) that RSA key authentication doesn't work. We couldn't reproduce the issue (if it exists) so far, but DSS keys always work. If you have luck with DSA, then we might need to look at your particular configuration and your keys (it's possible that only some RSA keys expose the problem).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/12/2007 14:19:00

I tried an SSH2 RSA, SSH1 RSA, and SSH2 DSA and no luck connecting on any of the keys..... I am thinking it is on the server side and will be investigating.
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2629 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!