EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Distribution Issue

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 10/09/2007 11:23:11
by Paul Lyon (Standard support level)

I have a no-touch client that I am trying to distribute. When I run the application I receive the following:
Error = Could not load file or assembly 'SecureBlackBox.PGP, Version, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5a62fa96d0ac431a' or one of it's dependencies. Access denied.

I am distributing the following files with the application:
C:\Program Files\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Assemblies\NET_20\SecureBlackbox.dll
C:\Program Files\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Assemblies\NET_20\SecureBlackbox.PGP
C:\Program Files\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Assemblies\NET_20\SecureBlackbox.PKI

No license is being distributed. I assume that I do not need to.
Client is XP SP2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Posted: 10/09/2007 11:51:58
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The problem is not related to distribution, but rather to permissions or .NET security. You need to check that the loader has enough permissions to run the project and to access the assemblies.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/09/2007 14:11:40
by Paul Lyon (Standard support level)

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to get up to speed on what needs to happen in order for the assemblies to load properly. Would you know the permissions that are required to load the assemblies? Other 3rd party assemblies are successfully being loaded (DevExpres UI Components). Would you know why SecureBlackBox dll's are operating differntly? Would you know how I can configure .Net security appropriately?
Posted: 10/09/2007 14:41:26

SecureBlackbox.PKI.dll has some calls via P/Invoke to CryptoAPI (this is needed for ElWinCertStorage class to work). It's possible that the system requires special rights for this. However the problem is caused by the settings on your computer rather than some special requirements for SecureBlackbox. Thousands of our customers deploy the assemblies without any issues. So you need to chech what's so special or just unusual you have on your system regargind the security settings. Try deploying your application to some other system. Try creating a small test case and deploy it.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/20/2008 12:07:05
by  Julio Bello
Dear Mr. Mayevski:

I am experiencing a similar, but URGENT, problem. I am using ClickOnce to deploy my application. It installs and runs properly when the user is logged on from his/her computer. But when the user is logged on a Citrix machine, it apparently installs properly, but encounters the following runtime error: Could not load file or assembly 'SecureBlackbox.PGP, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c45703f7b09c3fa9' or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.

What do I need to do to make this application work for Citrix users?

Please advise.

Posted: 03/20/2008 12:28:39

You need to adjust permissions to let the assemblies be loaded. This is not a software, but security configuration problem. We did something in this aspect in SecureBlackbox 5, however I don't know how much this will help you.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/20/2008 12:58:56
by  Julio Bello
Dear Mr. Mayevski:

Thank-you for your prompt response regarding this urgent matter. Please elaborate what was done in SecureBlackbox 5. Or point me in the right direction when it comes to adjusting permissions to let the assemblies be loaded (i.e., configuring security appropriately).

Thank-you once again for your prompt attention regarding this urgent matter.
Posted: 03/20/2008 13:24:37

As said above in this topic, SecureBlackbox assemblies access CryptoAPI (unmanaged code) and this might require special permissions.

In SecureBlackbox 5 we have added the following clause to each assembly:

[assembly: AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers]

You can read about this clause here in the forum (the topic similar to yours has been discussed before) and in Internet.

We have no experience with Citrix or with .NET access options, so I can't tell you what exactly should be done. Maybe SecureBlackbox 6 will solve the problem (as it has the above setting included).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/20/2008 13:28:55

Check this and this, maybe that topics will help you.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Topic viewed 5714 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!