EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PGPKeysDemo_VS2005

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 10/02/2007 18:44:28
by Jixxer  (Basic support level)

I'm using the PGPKeysDemo_VS2005 project. I've been able to create a public key successfully with the project by clicking "Generate a Key" on the button bar, and then walking through the little wizard (public key algorithm, name/email, passphrase). I've used this key to encrypt a test file and it works great.

How do I create the private key? I think this is the same as the "secret key" mentioned. I don't see an option in the PGPKeysDemo_VS2005 to generate the secret key, so I can't decrypt my test file. I can't find any documentation on how to use this test project to do this. Can you help?

Thanks!
Posted: 10/03/2007 01:36:53
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The keypair is generated always. "Secret key" is how PGP calls the private key (didn't they know that the term "secret key" is used for symmetric keys?).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/03/2007 09:55:53

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
The keypair is generated always. "Secret key" is how PGP calls the private key (didn't they know that the term "secret key" is used for symmetric keys?).

Something isn't right, when I try to decrypt with the keypair that I've created using PGPKeysDemo_VS2005 I get the message "Your keyring does not contain secret keys". I can encrypt the message just fine.

Posted: 10/03/2007 09:59:03

What exactly sample did you try? C# or VB.NET?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/03/2007 10:23:30

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
What exactly sample did you try? C# or VB.NET?

This was the C# sample.

Here is picture of what it looks like after I've created the key. Note, I've removed the e-mail address from the picture. I can encrypt with this key, but I can not decrypt.

Posted: 10/03/2007 10:48:04

When you save the keyring, you actually create two files (they have pkr and skr extensions by default). These files contain public and secret keys respectively. Later you need to use SKR file if you want to decrypt the data. Did you do this?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/03/2007 11:02:12

This worked. The piece I was missing was saving the public key with pkr, and secret key with skr. I was attempting to export the keys and this was incorrect. Thanks for clearing that up.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2729 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!