EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SSH Tunnel Compression

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 08/01/2007 15:56:14
by Charlie Steaderman (Standard support level)

I have developed a C# application that uses SSH tunneling to connect to a MS SQL database. In general, the database connection works, but I have been getting complaints that large SQL queries (queries that contain large WHERE clauses) were failing (timing out). I am able to reproduce the problem using the SSH tunnel that my application creates, as well as with the EldoS simple tunnel sample applications as well as with PuTTY. Using compression with PuTTY, though, eliminates the timeout problems. So I tried to enable compression using the TElSSHLocalPortForwarding class (ForceCompression and CompressionLevel) and it appears that there is no compression negotiated (CompressionAlgorithmClientToServer and CompressionAlgorithmServerToClient are both zero after connection event is fired). How do I enable compression using the TElSSHLocalPortForwarding class?

- Charlie
Posted: 08/02/2007 02:42:31
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

1) Did you enable ZLib compression algorithm via CompressionAlgorithms property?
2) Are you using the registered or trial version? Trial version has speed limitations that can influence the behaviour as well.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/03/2007 10:16:47

Eugene,
The CompressionAlgorithm property is for the SFTPClient class, but I am using the LocalPortForwarding class. LocalPortForwarding only has read-only properties to examine the compression algorithm after the connection is made. Any other ideas?

- Charlie
Posted: 08/03/2007 10:30:18
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

LocalPortForwarding only has read-only properties to examine the compression algorithm after the connection is made.

It also contains CompressionAlgorithms property (it should be accessed as set_CompressionAlgorithms() in several .NET languages). Please use it to enable ZLIB compression algorithm.
Posted: 08/03/2007 10:50:19

Innokentiy,
Yes, I found the set_CompressionAlgorithms property and called is as
Code
m_sshTunnel.set_CompressionAlgorithms(SBSSHConstants.__Global.SSH_CA_ZLIB, true);
but the object still shows both direction's compression algorithm as 0 when I check in the OnOpen event. Any other thoughts?

- Charlie
Posted: 08/03/2007 11:10:56
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Just found out -- some algorithm properties are not adjusted correctly after SSH connection is established (and CompressionAlgorithmClientToServer/CompressionAlgorithmServerToClient are two of them). So most likely compression is actually being used, but the properties are not set to the appropriate algorithm values. We will prepare the fix for the upcoming build update.

BTW, are you still having the original timeout problem (with Zlib algorithm enabled)?
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2842 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!