EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How to set the same modification time when copying in Amazon S3

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 06/08/2016 09:57:13
by Paolo Righi (Standard support level)

Dear support,

I need to find out a way to duplicate an object (a file) on Amazon S3 that keeps (or sets) the same modification time of the original object.
I need this because when you upload an object that overrides an existent one and then interrupts the upload then you lose the existent one (this doesn't happen with all the other data storages, but Azure: the existent object is replaced only when the upload successfully completes).
To avoid that I create a backup copy, of the object being replaced, which is then restored in case of interruption.
However I have the modification date changed to the current time.
How can I avoid that?

Best regards.

Paolo Righi.
C. H. Ostfeld.
Posted: 06/08/2016 15:06:57
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Hi Claude,

Thank you for contacting us.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't specify the update time when uploading or copying object in the S3 storage, this parameter is entirely up to S3 to set. I believe the only viable option here would be to upload new objects under a temporary name, and copy them to the needed location if the upload operation succeeds (thus leaving the original objects intact in case of an error).

Topic viewed 623 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!