EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Questions

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 03/29/2016 10:26:26
by Steve Jensen (Priority Premium support level)

We purchased our company professional license last week and I have two questions.

1) Dynazip has a "TestFlag" property that wouldn't extract files, but would just do an integrity check to see if it can read the files in the archive. We use this to verify an archive is valid without actually extracting any files. Does SecureBlackBox offer a similar function?

2) 256 WinZip encryption with SecureBlackBox is exceptionally slow, like 5-7 seconds for a 10mb archive with around 100 files. Dynazip could compress the same folder in less than a second (with 256 PKWare encryption). The call to .Compress() is what is slow, any suggestions for speeding that up any?

Other than that, everything looks good.

Thank you.
Posted: 03/29/2016 10:36:17
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Steve Jensen wrote:
1) Dynazip has a "TestFlag" property that wouldn't extract files, but would just do an integrity check to see if it can read the files in the archive. We use this to verify an archive is valid without actually extracting any files. Does SecureBlackBox offer a similar function?

There exists no such option, but, if needed, we can add it relatively quickly (to SecureBlackbox 15).

Steve Jensen wrote:
2) 256 WinZip encryption with SecureBlackBox is exceptionally slow, like 5-7 seconds for a 10mb archive with around 100 files. Dynazip could compress the same folder in less than a second (with 256 PKWare encryption). The call to .Compress() is what is slow, any suggestions for speeding that up any?

There can be many reasons for such difference. One thing to note is that if they use optimized multicore compression with hardware support (for example), then this is the thing that we can not implement in managed code.

In general, encryption itself (including AES256 encryption) is quite fast in SecureBlackbox, but it doesn't use hardware acceleration as well, and this can be another factor that affects speed.

Did you try compressing the same set of files without encryption? Was it slow or fast? Testing this would tell us, whether the problem is in encryption or in compression.

On a side note I’ve noticed there is no Support Access Ticket linked to your user account on EldoS site. Technical Support is provided to customers with the linked Support Access Ticket. You will find your Support Access Ticket together with all the details about how to use it in the registration e-mail that we’ve sent to you upon the purchase.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/29/2016 10:44:05

BTW I have not found any recent information about DynaZIP and the one I have found says "DynaZip Max Secure supports PKWARE’s Secure ZIP AES symetrical encryption format and is also capable of reading the WinZIP AES encrypted format". Did you find a way to use WinZIP AES Format with it?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/29/2016 11:13:56

Thank you for the swift reply.

I linked the support and license access tickets from the registration email to my login. Thank you for letting me know about this.

We would very much like a function that would be able to verify the archive can be read without actually extracting any files if at all possible.

Dynazip is no longer in business. All of our archives from legacy software are compressed using Dynzip with PKWare encryption. We did not use Winzip encryption with Dynazip. We are switching to SecureBlackBox because it will open our old archives, but we will save new files with SecureBlackBox using Winzip encryption because that is more common and widely supported.

I will try the test of compressing the same folder without encryption today and report the results.

Thank you for the excellent support.
Posted: 03/29/2016 12:27:29

I am sorry, I have for some reason overlooked that you mentioned PKWare encryption in the second case.

Here I need to notice that PKWare encryption and WinZIP encryption are slightly different, so it would be better to compare compression speed with PKWare encryption, also supported by SecureBlackbox.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/29/2016 15:22:27

I ran these test using a folder with 98 files (total size 17mb). I started a Stopwatch before the call to zipWriter.Compress() and stopped it when it was finished. Here are the results.

(PKWare) Using these properties with SecureBlackBox the time to zip is 3605 milliseconds. With Dynzip the time is about 400-500 milliseconds.

Code

zipWriter.Encrypt = true;
zipWriter.StrongEncryption = true;
zipWriter.WinZipEncryption = false;
zipWriter.CompressionAlgorithm = SBZipUtils.Unit.ZIP_COMPRESSION_DEFLATE;
zipWriter.CompressionLevel = 5;
zipWriter.StrongEncryptionInfo.EncryptionAlgorithm = SBZipUtils.Unit.ZIP_ENCRYPTION_AES256;

(WinZip) Using these properties the time to zip is 7816 milliseconds.

Code

zipWriter.Encrypt = true;
zipWriter.StrongEncryption = false;
zipWriter.WinZipEncryption = true;
zipWriter.WinZipAesKeySize = 256;
zipWriter.CompressionAlgorithm = SBZipUtils.Unit.ZIP_COMPRESSION_DEFLATE;
zipWriter.CompressionLevel = 5;

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, if so please advise. We want to save using Winzip encryption going forward because it is more common, but the times are much slower. Is there anything we can do to improve or optimize the compression/encryption times?

Thank you.
Posted: 03/29/2016 15:24:55

Thank you very much for the details. Before we start looking deeper, could you please do us a favor and measure compression of the same files without encryption? The results would give us an idea about where to look for possible slowdown factors.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/29/2016 16:57:17

I saved the same folder without using compression, time was 5645. I saved the properties of both files (compressed and uncompressed) with ratios in the attached files.

Thank you.
Posted: 03/29/2016 16:59:44

Oops, files were a little larger than 330kb so didn't upload. Can I email?
Posted: 03/30/2016 04:28:33
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

I've create a ticket in the Helpdesk ( https://www.eldos.com/helpdesk/ ) where you can upload your files.

Helpdesk is our easy-to-use individual support system that allows communicating and exchanging sample data with our support personnel privately. You will also get e-mail notifications about updates of your support request.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3626 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!