EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

self-extracting archives

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 12/22/2015 05:37:13
by Bart Michiels (Basic support level)

I'm currently evaluating your product for creating self-extracting encrypted zip files.

At the moment, I'm able to generate an encrypted zip, and saw in the release notes of v13 that there was support for self-extracting archives. I already looked at the documentation, but didn't find much about this topic (there were some hints for using sfx* properties, but not much) . Can you please give me a short instruction on how to turn the generated archive into a self extraction archive ?

Posted: 12/22/2015 05:54:05
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Our sample that is located in \EldoS\SecureBlackbox.<edition>\Samples\<language>\ZIPBlackbox\ZipArchiver folder shows how to create SFX archives. Please use it as a reference.
Posted: 12/22/2015 06:08:18

I already looked at that sample, but I didn't find anything w.r.t. self extraction archives ?

Maybe the sample is not updated after the release of v13 or am I missing something ?
Posted: 12/22/2015 06:12:37

Please check the latest 14th version for the samples.
Posted: 12/22/2015 06:35:43

? I downloaded the evaluation version this morning. How can I check the v14 samples if it is not included in your download package (The samples are not accesible on the site) ?

The project sample I have, was last upadted on 15th July 2015.
Posted: 12/22/2015 06:40:37

What SecureBlackbox edition do you use (VCL, .NET, Java etc.)?
Posted: 12/22/2015 07:53:05

Posted: 12/22/2015 08:10:48
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for the clarification. Indeed the ZIP samples don't cover the self-extraction functionality.

This functionality has been copied from OpenPGP, and the samples there show how to create a self-extracting OpenPGP file. Maybe this can help.

We are working on improving samples and documentation all the time (right now we are writing a huge block of how-to articles on all topics), so self-extracting archives will be both documented and added to samples ASAP.

I will discuss with developers if we can improve the samples right now for you.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/22/2015 08:12:25
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

To add - here's the topic from the how-to that says how to create a self-extracting archive:

To create a self-extracting archive, set SFXEnabled to True, then specify the desired SFX parameters using StubSource and StubName properties.

ZipWriter.SFXEnabled = true;
ZipWriter.StubSource = TSBZIPStubSource.ssFile;
ZipWriter.StubName = "C:\\Program Files\\EldoS\\SecureBlackbox\\Extra\\ZIPSFX\\sbconstb.exe";

The stubs can be found in SecureBlackbox\Extra\ZIPSFX directory on your disk.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/22/2015 08:35:07

Thx !
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Topic viewed 4052 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!