EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Setting Dropbox File Timestamp

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 10/03/2015 11:23:18
by William Egge (Standard support level)

I am creating code to sync drop box with a local directory using TElDropboxDataStorage.

For the sync to work I need the timestamp of the file on dropbox to match the local file timestamp (in Universal Time) after I upload the file. I don't see any functions that allow me to do this.

Is there a method to set the timestamp of the file on dropbox?
Posted: 10/04/2015 04:20:43
by Alexander Ionov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

The Dropbox API has the file property called "client_mtime" which seems to be used as "the timestamp of the file on dropbox":
For files, this is the modification time set by the desktop client when the file was added to Dropbox, in the standard date format. Since this time is not verified (the Dropbox server stores whatever the desktop client sends up), this should only be used for display purposes (such as sorting) and not, for example, to determine if a file has changed or not.

Unfortunately, there is no way (no method in the API) to set a custom value to this property. There was a feature request about this, posted on the Dropbox Community site in April 2015, but I cannot see any news on this topic.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Ionov
Posted: 12/02/2016 04:03:06
by ntr1 (Standard support level)

Hi, any news about this feature in the latest versions of Cloudblackbox?

It seems Dropbox now allows that: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24641259/set-client-mtime-metadata-via-dropbox-api
Posted: 12/03/2016 07:02:27
by Alexander Ionov (EldoS Corp.)

As far as I can see on the mentioned StackOverflow's page, this parameter is supported in Dropbox API v2 which is not supported by CloudBlackbox by now. CloudBlackbox still uses Dropbox API v1 and as such, I cannot see a way to have this feature implemented.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Ionov
Posted: 12/05/2016 11:44:53
by ntr1 (Standard support level)

Yes, API v2, however, I think it should be implemented in Cloudblackbox, since it is a very important feature. Without the possibility of setting the original file date/time, you loose this important information, so any backup of files became incomplete.
Posted: 12/05/2016 12:01:39
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, it will be implemented.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1887 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!