EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

FTPS Client File Retrieval Issues and Possible Solutions

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 06/26/2007 17:53:14
by Brian Hasden (Basic support level)

I was troubleshooting issues I've been having with the FTPS test client that is included in the latest release of SecureBlackbox for .NET (5.1.112) and I've come to the following conclusions:

1) The latest pre-release (5.2.116) fixes the very close to constant "Control channel transfer error" issue I was having when retrieving files from an FTPS site.

2) I was getting a sporadic flow of "Unaccepted server reply (error 226)" messages when trying to retrieve files from the FTPS server with the latest release (5.1.112). After I uninstalled 5.1.112 and went to pre-release 5.2.116, those messages seemed to stop. I uninstalled 5.2.116 and went back to 5.1.112 to confirm that the release was the issue, but couldn't get the error to come back. Without spending too much more time on it, I'm guessing there was either an issue with the number of connections I had open to the FTPS server (that were never closed due to a lengthy debugging session) or a subtle issue with the code that seems to have cleared itself up. If the error comes back, I'll post the issue and corresponding resolution.

Hope this helps someone. I did a forum search on the two error messages I was receiving and found a couple posts, but didn't really find a resolution other than "try the latest pre-release." Although that seems to have cleared up my first issue, I'm fairly certain the company I work for will be very cautious about going into production with a pre-release version of SecureBlackbox for .NET.

Feel free to contact me with questions or comments if anyone has further insight or has had similar issues.

Posted: 06/27/2007 01:11:48
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Frankly speaking, I couldn't get the idea of your post.

Build 116 improves compatibility with various FTP servers, that's true. It's in pre-release state because we are waiting for some things to be done by the developers. The package is large and the fact, that some feature is new and not thoroughly tested doesn't automatically invalidate the rest of functionality.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/27/2007 12:41:02
by Brian Hasden (Basic support level)

The post was meant to help the SBB community and be sort of an FYI for people experiencing the mentioned issues.

Specifically, I was having problems similar to post:

In that post, a moderator suggested trying the latest pre-release build. I understand that most of the libraries in the package are tested and proven, but stating to management that the latest release won't work for our company and that we have to deploy a pre-release doesn't really give them the warm and fuzzies.
Posted: 06/27/2007 12:51:30
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Well, then I can suggest to wait until next release. There are no other options.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 2290 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!