EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Would like better installer/uninstaller

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 09/02/2015 10:45:59
by William Egge (Standard support level)

You asked for suggestions, so....

SBB is great and the only thing I can think to improve is the installation steps. I have to manually search my hard drives for remnants of SBB after an uninstall because the uninstaller does not delete some files. This is actually a reason why I do not install SBB updates regularly. It takes me 30 minutes to update and I use 2 computers so I have to update both of them.

Some ideas:

I like the DevExpress installer, I just click "go" and let it do its thing. No tinkering on my part.

I actually really really like the ease of the GetIt package manager in XE8 and up. I was able to install SynEdit in seconds as opposed to fiddling with build failures and trying to figure out what is supposed to be compiled first, what the "R" means.

In conclusion, a nicer and faster "do it for me" installer.
Posted: 09/02/2015 10:59:10
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your post. It's not exactly clear whether you use the pre-compiled version or the source code version.

If you install pre-compiled packages, you don't have those problems: you just run new installer, which overrides an old version and replaces the package files in Windows system directory. You don't need to uninstall the previous version.

Nowadays we recommend everyone to stick with the precompiled version and put sources aside for debugging. This is similar to what Embarcadero does - it provides binary packages and libraries, and optionally provides sources for you to look into.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/02/2015 11:23:13
by William Egge (Standard support level)

I use the pre-compiled packages.

I had an issue in the past with old files remaining. There was a support ticket for it. Since then I have been doing uninstalls then going back and making sure everything was deleted before installing a new version.

Maybe things are better now. I will test on my next update.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1021 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!