EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PGP: Eliminating Secure Viewer Message when Decrypting

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 06/25/2007 18:51:09
by Dan Hammari (Basic support level)

I am troubleshooting a problem that a partner is having in decrypting my PGP-encrypted files. My partner tells me that he can decrypt fine manually, but his automatic process chokes on a Secure Viewer message. He is using McAfee Enterprise Business as his PGP application.

I ran across this note in the Secure Blackbox KnowledgeBase, and I think this might address the problem:

The file, encrypted using PGPBlackbox, is displayed by PGP in "Secure Viewer" window and it's not possible to save the file (one gets the error "This message is for your eyes only")...
Remember to set ElPGPWriter.Filename to the name of the file when encrypting the data.

My question is this: Should I set the Filename property value to the filename of the clear file or the filename of the encrypted file?

Posted: 06/25/2007 23:44:21
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

To the filename of the source file. Actually, you can set it to any non-empty string value. This property is used to let the decrypting application know the name of the original file.

Topic viewed 2187 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!