EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Invalid keyrin packet sequence on third party .asc public key

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 05/21/2015 08:31:38
by Nick Cerny (Basic support level)

Hi All,

We are trying to implement a third parties public key into our PGP key database. I am getting the following error trying to load the key through our application which uses SBPGP:

SBPGPExceptions.EElPGPInvalidPGPKeyringPacketSequence: Invalid keyring packet sequence

The public key is a .asc file. It is not armored, and I have confirmed that they are using the IDEA algorithm. Our application typically generates armored keys in base64, so the issue may be in the format of the key itself. However, since they only sent a public key for encryption purposes I am somewhat confused by the exception thrown. Can someone please elaborate on what this exception is referring to?

Thanks,
Nick
Posted: 05/21/2015 08:39:29
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

PGP file format contains a sequence of so-called packets of various types. For the keyring it's expected that the file contains certain packets and doesn't contain other packets. In your case the sequence of packets doesn't match the one defined in the specification.

You are welcome to post the key file to the HelpDesk ( https://www.eldos.com/helpdesk/ ). I have created a new support ticket based on your above message. You will see your (and only your) support tickets by following this URL. You will also get e-mail notifications about updates related to your support ticket.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/21/2015 08:40:47
by Nick Cerny (Basic support level)

To give more information, the public key is converted from a byte() to a memory stream and then loaded into a TELPGPKeyring with the following code:

Public Function GetKeyId(ByVal pstmKey As IO.Stream, ByVal pblnPrivate As Boolean) As String
Dim arrKeyId As Byte()
Using rngKeys As New TElPGPKeyring
If pblnPrivate Then
rngKeys.Load(Nothing, pstmKey, True)
If rngKeys.SecretCount > 0 Then
arrKeyId = rngKeys.SecretKeys(0).KeyID
End If
Else
rngKeys.Load(pstmKey, Nothing, True)
If rngKeys.PublicCount > 0 Then
arrKeyId = rngKeys.PublicKeys(0).KeyID
End If
End If
End Using
If arrKeyId Is Nothing Then
Return ""
Else
Return Convert.ToBase64String(arrKeyId)
End If
End Function

Since I am just loading a public key we deal with the inner else clause. The exception is thrown on the line "rngKeys.Load(pstmKey, Nothing, True)."

Hope that helps paint a better picture.

Statistics

Topic viewed 322 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!