EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Delphi XE8 Support

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 04/24/2015 15:24:28
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Good news: we've finally compiled the version for iOS 64-bit. It's available for download from https://www.eldos.com/sbb/download-prerelease.php

The backside of this is that the compiled version should be considered beta 1 and not even close to the release. This is so due to the fundamental breaking change that the compiler makers have made by changing the size of Longint type.

So if you plan to use this version in production, please release it as a beta version to allow for at least some testing by the users.

We will do the tests of 64-bit iOS version in the next 2-3 weeks.

Let me note that FreePascal version for iOS (actually the same SecureBlackbox ccode), where there were no such breaking changes, has been working fine on 64-bit iOS since February. So it's only Embarcadero to blame for possible issues.

32-bit iOS version and Android version should work properly and can be safely used in production -- there were no dramatic changes in SecureBlackbox 13 that would cause any problems (there were a couple of breaking changes in API declarations, but nothing serious).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/25/2015 00:45:47
by Roland Kossow (Standard support level)

Hi Eugene,
great news. Thanks a lot.
I'd rather blame nobody - it is great that you support the datatype change in your codebase and it is good that Embarcadero is not preventing breaking changes in their product if they are needed for what they are heading for.
I understand that I should not use this version of SB13 in production settings - thanks again.

Happy weekend.

Posted: 04/25/2015 01:58:14
by Roland Kossow (Standard support level)

Another poblem might be for you the more-work you have because of maintaining the NG codebases for older versions.
IMO if you do mobile with Delphi you will develop with the last two to three most current versions, so you might consider to stop maintenance for the versions prior to XE8 - but I also could imagine that this might harm quite a few people in your customer base.
I hope that the mobile development environment will become more stable in the future.
Posted: 04/25/2015 03:28:29

We have customers who still use Delphi 5 (they have to license SecureBlackbox 11, because SBB 12 code can't be compiled due to Delphi 5 compiler bug).

Also it's not a problem of older mobile vs newer mobile version. It's a problem of say XE7/Win64 vs XE8/iOS64, where Longint and Longword types have different length. Even when you develop with the latest version, you still have your code broken (until you rework it, of course).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/28/2015 15:39:37
by Erich Kuba (Standard support level)

Any update on this upgrade? We're needing both VCL & NG Editions.

Where can I download from?

I can't see it in My Downloads.
Posted: 04/29/2015 01:46:56

I mentioned everything in the message 11 in this thread.

The beta version is available on https://www.eldos.com/sbb/download-prerelease.php

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/01/2015 18:34:47
by Alan Sisson (Standard support level)

Hi Eugene,

I found a minor typo for the XE7/XE8 CBuilder preview for which is still referring to XE5 and XE6. See attached.

Alan Sisson

Posted: 05/02/2015 00:38:04

The text has been updated, thank you!

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/27/2015 15:48:46
by William Egge (Standard support level)

Actually few versions back they added UInt32 and others named that way. I believe any code that required unchanging sizes should be using these aliases.
Posted: 07/07/2015 03:12:23

FYI: SecureBlackbox 13 has been released and support for XE8 is there.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Topic viewed 5608 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!