EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Problem with SSH password authentication

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 07/17/2006 09:15:27
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

In fact, we need mainly a configuration file. By default it's /usr/local/etc/sshd_config

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/17/2006 09:42:05
by Bill Armstrong (Basic support level)

Well, this is a little embarassing. My only defence is that I'm a Linux and SSH newbie. I found the configuration file that you mentioned (although on the SUSE Linux distribution it's in /etc/ssh), and there it was, clear as day "PasswordAuthentication no". I changed it to "yes", and wouldn't you know it, I was able to connect.

The managed client that I am evaluating must have been using keyboard interactive authentication under the hood. They sure did a good job of making it look like password authentication.

Also I DID try setting the authentication method to Keyboard Interactive in your sample and it didn't work, but I guess more changes other than just enabling the authentication method might have been necessary to get it to work properly.

The good news is that I've been very impressed with the level of support that you've given me. SecureBlackbox is definitely the solution that I'm going to go with. I hope you didn't spend too much time working on this on Saturday. I'm sorry if you did, but it wasn't completely wasted. You've gone a long way in boosting my confidence in your product and your company.

Thanks again.
Posted: 07/17/2006 13:20:59
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Bill Armstrong wrote:
Also I DID try setting the authentication method to Keyboard Interactive in your sample and it didn't work, but I guess more changes other than just enabling the authentication method might have been necessary to get it to work properly.

If you still have the code you tested, feel free to send it to us. It's interesting to find out, what exactly was wrong with that keyboard authentication.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/18/2006 00:16:46
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Yes. You should also handle the OnAuthenticationKeyboard event appropriately. This event is used to pass the server's questions (usually these questions are 'Username:' and 'Password:') to the client.

Statistics

Topic viewed 11713 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!