EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

WSDL / Visual Studio 2008 WebReference tool

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 03/27/2015 09:38:28
by Yannick Bori (Basic support level)

Hopefully you can help me find the right solution to my problem.

I'm developing with visual studio 2008 and Compact framework 3.5. I have a mobile application that consumes Web Service over https.

I'm using the "built in tool of visual studio" to generate all the webservice classes.

Below is what I was using to connect to our server over https:
ServicePointManager.CertificatePolicy = new TrustAllCertificatePolicy();
ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = true;

Since we moved the server to TLS1.2 I'm not able to connect anymore.

I was wondering if there is a way to use SecureBlackbox with he "built-in tool of visual studio"? if not would it be possible to guide me to right solution?

Thank you for your help
Posted: 03/27/2015 10:12:07
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Hi Yannick,

Thank you for contacting us.

I am not sure what 'built in tool of visual studio' is (and Google is not that descriptive about it either). Is it a tool that generates wrappers for web services which lets you use the web services as if they were local classes? If that it the case, I'm afraid there might be no easy way to plug SecureBlackbox HTTP transport in the middle of the scheme. However, it really depends on the architecture of those classes. You might wish to post a sample generated code here so that we could have a look and check how easy it will be (and whether it is possible at all) to substitute the built-in HTTP client component in your scheme with SecureBlackbox one.

Posted: 03/27/2015 10:37:32
by Yannick Bori (Basic support level)

Hi Ken,

Thank you for replying to me.

This is exactly what I was talking about
tool that generates wrappers for web services which lets you use the web services as if they were local classes

You confirmed what we thought. I don't think there is a way to plug SecureBlackbox.

We are going to switch to Rest json in the future. By any chance do you know 3rd part that can be plug to SecureBlackbox to use Web service over https TLS1.2? I would love to make some tests before purchasing the license.

Posted: 03/27/2015 14:25:39
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately, we are not aware of any specific implementation, sorry. But, as a general criteria, there should be a technical possibility in such third party library to substitute the default HTTP/HTTPS component they use for transporting requests to the web service with SecureBlackbox HTTP component. If such possibility is provided, it would be the only part of the scheme that will have to be changed; the rest of the scheme and its logic will remain the same.

BTW, SecureBlackbox comes with its own REST client - and though it's pretty low-level, it might make itself useful in your scenario.

Topic viewed 722 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!